Confused

Discussion in 'Goats' started by brierpatch1974, Dec 30, 2005.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to a website or book that would help me with a question I have or just explain it to me. When I get my goats I am planning on getting full blooded registered goats. Now my question is what is the purpose of tagging or tattoing the goats? What kind of information is on the tags and what is the best way to keep track of this information? Thanks for all the help.

Rick

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

are you getting dairy or meat goats. We tatoo our dairy goats to match their registration papers. We tag buck kids going to auction for meat.
    Liz

3. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Well depending on what breed you are considering you can check out the breed website, I raise boers and the ABGA website is full of info. As far as the tags, I tag all my kids with my farm name and a number so I can keep track of them. The tattoo is required before you can register them, that way you will know that the goat matches their registeration papers, for buying and selling purposes, also showing. In the right ear you tatoo your herd letters, mine are GC-for Gee Creek Farm, in the left is a letter for the year they are born, as in T-for 2005, and a number you assign, like T105, both of these tatoos will be on their papers when you get them back. You have to apply for herd letters from your association, and they will also tell you the letter to use in the left ear for that year. Boy I made that sound really confusing didn't I. It is really not. Just check out the websites and I'm sure they will explain it better than I did. :)

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

USDA requires that all goats sold for anything other than immediate butchering be tattooed or ear tagged and have records kept on when born, who sold to, etc. This is whether or not they are registered.

ADGA registered goats are to be tattooed for positive identification at shows and to reduce dishonesty and it's also useful in the case of theft and recovery.