Conflicting Reports of Problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MeanDean, Sep 14, 2005.

1. MeanDean

MeanDean that geeky admin guy

Okay folks, it is hard for me to fix something unless I can get clear consistent reports of what's wrong and how to reproduce it.

Links and page titles help big time. Enumeration such as "step 1, step 2..." also help.

I've been trying to follow what some of you have posted, but can't reproduce anything wrong.

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Dean, it started when teh 2 gc threads got locked.

3. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

When I click on a main subject headers, I get this message:

I am able to click on the "most recently replied to topic" on the side, but I can't get to the main topic list for any of the forums.

I got the same message if I used the normal reply to button instead of quick reply.

4. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

We can send PM's back and forth though.

5. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I get the same thing as roughinit

I actually don't even know how I'm posting this! I think I hit the little page to the right of the Quote button on roughinit's post & then it shot me into this Quick Reply box

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I get the homepage, but when I click on a forum I get a message saying:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the Homesteading Today database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

If I click on a thread from the homepage, it will go to that thread, but I can not go to an individual forum from anywhere. :( I can also only use the quick reply & not the other reply option. Clicking the refresh button does nothing.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I can quick reply but I can't go into any forums either.

8. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Heather- That is the quick reply button! :)

Recap- For anyone reading this that would like to say something but can't figure out how, the quick reply button is the square button to the right of the quote button. Clicking this will activate a dialog box at the bottom of the screen that you can type a post into.

Also, the "Quote" button brings up the same error

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Obviously :( it takes a CRISIS for me to learn about the Quick Reply button! ha!

And YES - this IS a crisis

10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I agree! Major withdrawal!!! :D

11. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

The board software is out of date http://www.vbulletin.com/download.php has the updated version that fixes some exploits.

perhaps thats the problem, perhaps not, but upgrading is probably necessary anyway, and upgrading usually fixes these types of things as a happy coincidence

12. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Any moderator can access their own forums from the main page.

I can access the full-reply page, not just the quick-reply, from any threads I can get to. I don't know whether that applies to other mods or not.

13. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

It's gotta be that *** **** Bush's fault. Or maybe Cheney. No wait, I bet it's that ex FEMA guy gettin even.

14. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

More experimenting:

The top menu underneath the logo will take me to the main page and it will even take me to the general homesteading forums page, just not to the forums within. When I go to the general forums page, I can't access them from there either.

15. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Seeing if quick reply works for me. I can't access any of the forums I am going into withdrawl :(.

16. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

It's not that easy. This is a BIG site, and you can't just wheel in a new version of software without extensive testing and whatever tweaking may be necessary. They've only just done that.

Possibly true. The threads needed locking - Chuck's exhortation to "be nice" was long forgotten, and any rational posters were being drowned by the heat and noise. :monkey: Right, Becky H? :D If those threads need deleting it would be little loss. Right? :nana: Although it would probably be better to let people save what they wanted out of them first. :shrug:

17. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I missed some threads eing locked???

Darn!!!

Was it a good fight?

LOL....

18. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't read what the others posted cause it's late and I'm tired. I pull up the main forum page and if I click on "Homesteading Questions" to see the various topics I'd like to read, I get a page that says:

"There seems to have been a slight problem with the Homesteading Today database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

When I click on "Countryside Families", I get the same message.

I took a chance on the "Homesteading Questions" where it showed the Last Post: "Conflicting Reports of..." in the next column and was able to at least get to this thread.

I took a chance under "Countryside Families" and clicked on the Last post: "Nicknames of your Children" and could get to that too... but that appears to be the only way I can get into anything.

Bummer. I hope that helps Dean.

19. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

well if its not the frontend, it's the backend. run a repair on the sql.

under phpmyadmin check the broken tables and browse down the page, from that drop down box, select optimize. When done, do the same again, but this time repair.

20. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

ok, if I go CF, HQ or the Admins forums; I can access the thread that's showing up on the main page of HT but I can't open the whole index of threads in any forum.
    I can then access other threads in the same forum by using the previous thread option at the bottom.
    I can't use the post reply button but quick reply works so far.