Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Title says "confirmed" then OP says she doesnt know if its true or not. This is a great example of the type of hysteria thats surrounding this thing now. People making crazy claims, wanting to close the borders and shut down the airlines while diseases that are literally 1000 times more deadly have been raging, even in our own country, for decades or longer.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
right, right right, but there is much money to be made from this 'new disease" , I bet in the next few months a new "E shot" will emerge and the masses of sheeple will flock to be "protected" .

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Don't know if this is true or not.
Article says Mexico
is thinking about closing the border with USA.
to continue publishing pamphlets and distributing them to 'prospective'
immigrants; either "just passing thru" or their own citizens, on how to
locate friendly coyotes and the major routes that aren't as heavily
watched on crossing the border. One has to wonder.....

Title says "confirmed" then OP says she doesnt know if its true or not.
This is a great example of the type of hysteria thats surrounding this thing now.
People making crazy claims, wanting to close the borders and shut down the airlines
while diseases that are literally 1000 times more deadly have been raging, even in our own country, for decades or longer.
You seem to be a contradiction in clarity. On the one part you casually
mention "people making crazy claims", then you top it off with the the
wild claim of "....diseases that are literally 1000 times more deadly...."

Care to cite some sources.....correction: RELIABLE sources for such?
And while you're at it, please define exactly, what "more deadly" means to you...
We'll be waiting patiently......for your 'proof'.:bored:

BTW: Which one are you.....
the one in part A or the one who has the proof?

The irony is killing me.....

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Hard to list diseases that are 1000 times more deadly than ebola...getting better at having a few survivors but all in all, its perhaps the deadliest out there fight now...was 90% rate of dying.
'Course if you're thinking of pancriatic cancer or something like that, you'll hang on for a year or so. Ebola is a matter of days.

And maybe Trainwreck hasn't been here long enuf to know that sometimes an op posts what the article says, then offers their own opinion, ya know cause we all have one, not that we are contradicting ourselves.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to list diseases that are 1000 times more deadly than ebola...getting better at having a few survivors but all in all, its perhaps the deadliest out there fight now...was 90% rate of dying.
'Course if you're thinking of pancriatic cancer or something like that, you'll hang on for a year or so. Ebola is a matter of days.

And maybe Trainwreck hasn't been here long enuf to know that sometimes an op posts what the article says, then offers their own opinion, ya know cause we all have one, not that we are contradicting ourselves.

That was just what I was doing. Thank you. Grama.

I haven't heard any more about this case. Probably nothing. Can't hide an Ebola case long. People talk and run in the opposite direction.

·
Banned
292 Posts
to continue publishing pamphlets and distributing them to 'prospective'
immigrants; either "just passing thru" or their own citizens, on how to
locate friendly coyotes and the major routes that aren't as heavily
watched on crossing the border. One has to wonder.....

You seem to be a contradiction in clarity. On the one part you casually
mention "people making crazy claims", then you top it off with the the
wild claim of "....diseases that are literally 1000 times more deadly...."

Care to cite some sources.....correction: RELIABLE sources for such?
And while you're at it, please define exactly, what "more deadly" means to you...
We'll be waiting patiently......for your 'proof'.:bored:

BTW: Which one are you.....
the one in part A or the one who has the proof?

The irony is killing me.....
I'm not going to do your research for you. If you want to remain misinformed then that is up to you. Do some research, check the stats. How many people have died of flu over the past 30 years? How does that compare to the number of people who have died from Ebola since 1976?

Now tell me which is more deadly. Thats your homework assignment, I'll be waiting for you to enlighten yourself.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
I'm not going to do your research for you. If you want to remain misinformed then that is up to you. Do some research, check the stats. How many people have died of flu over the past 30 years? How does that compare to the number of people who have died from Ebola since 1976?

Now tell me which is more deadly. Thats your homework assignment, I'll be waiting for you to enlighten yourself.
Ebola has not reached the levels you perceive to be alarming is because it has largely been regional, in areas that aren't generally well traveled. In these areas the people self quarantine and it dies out due to lack of hosts. Even WHO has not been able to articulate the actual numbers of fatalities.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts

There are lies, ---- lies and statistics. Torture numbers enough and you can make them say what you want.

The fact is that ebola is one of those rare diseases with a super high mortality rate, the ability to spread quickly due to modern travel and the ability to mutate.

Healthcare professionals in the U.S. are buzzing about this disease. This is a genie you do not want to let get out of the bottle!

If this thing evolves into airborne transmission, it could make H1N1 look like a case of the sniffles...

·
Banned
292 Posts
Ebola has not reached the levels you perceive to be alarming is because it has largely been regional, in areas that aren't generally well traveled. In these areas the people self quarantine and it dies out due to lack of hosts. Even WHO has not been able to articulate the actual numbers of fatalities.
It is still very difficult to contract Ebola. You have to come into contact with the body fluids of an infected person. Most of the outbreaks occur in undeveloped countries for a reason. This whole Ebola scare is sensationalism.

There have been something like 3,500 deaths WORLDWIDE from Ebola since 1976.

According to the National Cancer Institute there will be about 39,500 deaths from pancreatic cancer in the US this year alone.

You are thousands of times more likely to die of pancreatic cancer then Ebola. And the odds of you even getting Pancreatic cancer are about 1.5%. The odds of any of you getting Ebola are infinitesimal.

The whole scare is just playing on your fears, it is irrational.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
It is still very difficult to contract Ebola. You have to come into contact with the body fluids of an infected person. Most of the outbreaks occur in undeveloped countries for a reason. This whole Ebola scare is sensationalism.

There have been something like 3,500 deaths WORLDWIDE from Ebola since 1976.

According to the National Cancer Institute there will be about 39,500 deaths from pancreatic cancer in the US this year alone.

You are thousands of times more likely to die of pancreatic cancer then Ebola. And the odds of you even getting Pancreatic cancer are about 1.5%. The odds of any of you getting Ebola are infinitesimal.

The whole scare is just playing on your fears, it is irrational.

Not fearful but a realist. At this time I am working in North Africa, I have seen what ebola can do, downplaying it only soothes your fears.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Seems like a media scare-of-the-day to me too. More likely to be struck by lightening.
WAY more likely to be struck by lightening. According to wiki;

One estimate is that 24,000 people are killed by lightning strikes around the world each year and about 240,000 are injured.[3] Another estimate is that the annual death toll is 6,000.
So, about 3,500 people worldwide, killed by Ebola since 1976. 6000 people killed EVERY YEAR by lightening ( using the lowest estimate )! Using these estimates, some 228,000 people have died from lightening strikes in the past 38 years, while Ebola has claimed a total of 3,500 ( some estimates are significantly lower ).

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Lightening strikes aren't contagious. You can't get struck by lightening today and cause someone else to be struck 2 weeks from today, and then they spread lightening strikes to more people and so on. Bad analogy.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Comparing lightening strikes, or pancreatic cancer deaths to Ebola deaths doesn't work.

You are comparing the final counts after the fact. That does not allow for the potential of Ebola to spread. Sure, maybe today your chances of contracting Ebola are X, and your chances of getting pancreatic cancer are X.

Tomorrow, a week from now, 21 days from now (and on and on) if misdiagnosing, overwhelmed resources, etc., continues, Ebola deaths will rise. Pancreatic deaths will not.

The chances go up with Ebola as it spreads. Other than those who live within miles of known US cases, most probably no one here believes they are going to contract Ebola today.

It's not today they're worried about.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
There are no confirmed cases of ebola in Mexico.

The one confirmed case in the U.S. diagnosed from the general population came from the outside, ended in a fatality and, as of yet, there have been no other confirmed cases.

Speculate however you like about what might come, but that's the way things are now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts