Confessions of a Car Salesman

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Edmunds.com has a very interesting, and information, article series under this title. Go to the site and then under the Tips & Advice link.

One aspect not mentioned is what happens to your trade in. I have been told in states with a cooling-off period, your trade-in will be off the lot (sold somewhere) within hours of it being turned over to them. That way if you want to back out of the deal, you no longer can get your trade-in back through them. You might get back the trade-in value, but it would normally be less than the vehicle's actual street value.

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Whenever I think of the "back out and get your trade in back" I think of Chevy Chase in Vacation. When they roll out his already crushed car to give him back.
    After almost 30 yrs. of being involved in the auto business the only advice to apply is buyer beware. I have worked for dealerships that never paid off the loan on the trade in and then went out of business. Car salesmen earned their sterotype reputation.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Had a BIL who tried the new car salesman for a bit. Said he enjoyed the actually one-on-one selling with the buyers but hated everything which went on inside the dealership building. From what he said - which is pretty well what is in the series - once you go inside you are basically dead meat in the making. The guys (and it is still predominately men) are pros.

Most of his 'training' period was to call the vehicles for sale classified listers saying the dealership would likely give them top dollar for it as they were really hurting for good used vehicle inventory. Objective was, of course, to get them on the lot (bearing their titles) and then make the sales pitch.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

About the best advice I saw was internet buying and paying cash eliminates a lot of game playing.Good article.Ive only bought one new car and yes,they are sure experts at what they do.

booboo