Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can whip up bread or pizza dough without even batting an eyelash. BUT...this baking cookie thingie........stinks. you are STUCK to the oven. goodness..if you must use the restroom ....POW...oven timer going off. (cookies burning) and...one pan in...dog must go out. my mantra for today....

'the kids will love these cookies...the kids will love these cookies...

why do I do this again?????? oh ...yeah....the mantra........

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I'm in the porcess of baking 8 dozen for the Christmas tour at the Callaway Plantation tonight. I too, hate baking cookies. It's so time consuming. Ugh. And I'lve got to have them done and be in coustume and there in 2 hrs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree, baking cookies is the least favorite thing to bake. Just ask my poor husband how many cookies he gets baked by me in a year. LOL What I usually end up doing is baking a couple of pans full, then pile the rest in a pan and make "bar" cookies. You know, put all the dough in the pan and smash it down even, the cut them into squares after they are baked. So lazy of me I know! : )

·
Registered
338 Posts
Blessedly I have a great husband when it comes to cookies. He does not cook really. Dislikes it a lot. However he knows that I don't like baking cookies, but he LOVES them so in order to get them he asks me to mix them up and then he will bake them for us. I am pleased with that arrangement. I dislike the being attached to the oven as Mamita so correctly put it. So he does that part to insure that he gets cookies more than once or twice a year. Cakes, bread and other things are fine for me too. Just cookies are a pain.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
yep, convection oven to the rescue. I can think "hmm, chocolate chip cookies sound good" and 20 min later have 6 dozen cooling on the counter!!

Even so, I don't enjoy doing the holiday cookies (the only time I make cut-out types like sugar cookies or gingerbread men) as much as I like doing the 'mix it together & throw it on the pan in spoonfuls' kinds.

Tonight I'm baking gingerbread men (or will be once the dough is done chilling) for a luncheon after tomorrow's church Christmas Eve program practice.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It's not so much that I hate baking cookies, it's just I do it so badly! Having been hornswoggled into a few cookie exchanges though, I gotta say I am not the only one on this planet who does it badly.

I can pull off a buffet dinner for 75 without breaking a sweat, I can whip up cheap, nutritious meals originating from every region of the world and I can make pies until the cows come home, but cookie duty is left to my girls. They learned to bake from my cousin, who makes the best cookies in the world.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
If you want holiday cookies and live near a GFS (Gordons food service) retail store, or other ones, that sell commercial food stuffs, to the public, you have it made.

Just buy frozen sugar cookie dough, already rolled and cut into rounds. Throw them on a cookie sheet and into the oven. Cool, ice and EAT. Can't tell the difference between home mixed.

My DW loves to bake, but this is the only way she will make sugar cookies.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
My darling Nina's mother makes the worst, throw them away and don't eat them cause you might die, cookies I have ever eaten. Problem is, she likes to make cookies. I, on the other hand, make awesome cookies but have to plan an entire day or two for it and rarely have the time. Note to self---ask Santa for a convection oven!

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Cookies are the last on my list as well. That's why I spread it all in a pan and serve "bar cookies" ;). For the most part if cookies are to be made my teenagers make them.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I love you all! I've felt so guilty because of all the "homemaker/homesteader" things I do or attempt, the one I very, very seldom do is bake cookies. It's not just the time it takes, it's that I just am not a very good cookie baker. I end up burning the bottoms, or having the middles be doughy, or something. I'd just as soon make a pan of brownies (and even those don't turn out as pretty as when dd makes them). Now, after reading the rest of your posts, I know I'm not alone in avoiding cookie baking, lol! :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
I agree with you all, but the worst is the fact that they are gone here in a few days. I baked 2 batches of 4 kinds a little over a week ago & they are mostly gone. I hope to bake a few more by next week for Christmas dinner. I also have no where to store the big containers of them, so they get moved on and off the dining room table constantly. Another vote for convection (got mine last January) as I don't have to switch trays in the oven anymore.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I guess I see the point about hating cookie baking... but I LOVE to bake cookies, as I line it up with another of my loves... I get a good library book, and settle into my chair, book in hand, cookie stuff on the table... I read and bake, read and bake and let everyone who likes to eat cookies take care of things like chores and dogs and whatever until the cookie baking is done...

speaking of which, need to hit the library, as cookie baking day needs to happen at least a couple of days next week.

dawn

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I love baking cookies. And making pies. But I never do it. Because we don't really have anywhere for me to let loose with the rolling pin. And my cookies are actually not bad, except for a little disaster I had with some frosting last year. Those cookies, it turned out, were not good. Most of the time I make good cookies.

I figured now that we have a table in the kitchen I could use it to roll out my cookie dough and my pie crusts. But wait! It was my husband's great-grandmother's table. If I scratch this thing I am going to be in the dog house. So I'll just clear off the island and use that instead. Nope! Because stuff would get sat on the kitchen table and might scratch it. So I can do drop cookies, or nothing.

I will sit by the oven all day long if someone brings me pre-rolled and cut out cookies. We can organize a cookie baking exchange. Who is in?

Kayleigh

·
Premium Member
42,690 Posts
I love baking cookies. And making pies. But I never do it. Because we don't really have anywhere for me to let loose with the rolling pin. And my cookies are actually not bad, except for a little disaster I had with some frosting last year. Those cookies, it turned out, were not good. Most of the time I make good cookies.

I figured now that we have a table in the kitchen I could use it to roll out my cookie dough and my pie crusts. But wait! It was my husband's great-grandmother's table. If I scratch this thing I am going to be in the dog house. So I'll just clear off the island and use that instead. Nope! Because stuff would get sat on the kitchen table and might scratch it. So I can do drop cookies, or nothing.

I will sit by the oven all day long if someone brings me pre-rolled and cut out cookies. We can organize a cookie baking exchange. Who is in?

Kayleigh
If your hubbys great grand mother was anything like my great gramma, she would have a fit if someone guarded a table like you describe. My G-granny used her things, a table provided work space, everything from folding laundry to rolling out cookies to changin babies. Daddy still has that old table, it currently resides in his office space, holding up stacks of magazines and oddities from his working days long since past. There is still a small area that is clear where he sorts his daily mail, and pays his bills. :)

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I can't believe anyone would have cookies last for a week. Around here at least two or three dozen get eaten before they cool. This could be why I LOVE my convection oven. Everytime I bake I am so glad to have it. The only thing that would be better is one of those rotating bakery ovens.
Two or three dozen? That's not worth heating the oven for, LOL. If I only want 2-3 dozen I just make no-bakes!! Cookies disappear quickly here too. I always make a double recipe, and even that (roughly 5-6 dozen cookies) is usually gone in 24 hours!

·
Registered
465 Posts
The only cookie I dislike to make are the rolled out sour cream sugar cookies that you use cookie cutters on..now thats time consuming..and I try and have grdaughters around to help..they will spend hrs. doing the frosting and any other decorations on them..other than that,,I enjoy baking cookies..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts