Conditioning ewe to new grass?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by The_Shepherdess, Apr 7, 2006.

1. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

One of my ewes missed the Big Sprout due to birthing confinement.
    I'm not sure how long I should take getting her used to the grass.
    So far: Day one, we hang out in the pasture for, oh, an hour. Naturally, this was too long for a first outing, so she had slight indigestion.
    Day Two: No outing. (Well, I'd been arguing with my brother on whether they could go out, and he let them out, but I think I saw them in the first minute.)
    Day Three (yesterday): Twenty-minute outing. No indigestion apparent.
    Day Four (this morning): Thirty-minute outing. You should have seen the way her boys were goofing off.

Anyway, when can I just let her out for the entire day? The boys are old enough, and I'm flat out of the better quality alfalfa. She isn't the only eater, either: we have three bum lambs and three kids on alfalfa.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You're worried about grass tetny or bloat? We start the flock out in late afternoon on a full stomach or hay and grain, and pull them in after and hour or two. Do that for 4-6 days and then let them go as they please.

3. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

Okay, thanks. Btw, love your sig.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Yup, we did that with the horses each spring as well. Late day, about an hour before dinner, and with a bit of hay in their tummies. An hour to start, then half a day, then a full day. Took about two weeks with the horses.

5. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

I let mine out about two hours before dark, plenty of hay in them. Next day, free choice wheat pasture but I threw them some alfalfa also. Before I did all that I made them thirst with some hay and mineral and put Preference in their water.