Concrete?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by big rockpile, Sep 18, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We're needing about 7 yards of Concret if we go with Redy Mix its going to cost about $200 more than if we mix it ourselves.Do you guys think it would be worth the savings? We mixed about half that much last year no problem.

big rockpile

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I do not know the cost of the materials in your area so I can't help in that area. But do be aware that concrete has a compaction factor, example, 10 cubic yards takes about 11 1/2 yards of unmixed materials due to the fact that the sand has air space in its seperate form that is removed when you add the mortar and water.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i would say to consider the time frame of the pour. is it feasible to pour only as fast as you are able to mix? are you mixing with a mixer or by hand (like i did my cellar stairs...ouch)?

for $200, i would go with the ready mix.

4. big rockpile

We can pour half of it at a time,more like a quarter of it at a time,plus can have Mixer and material right next to where we're pouring.

Plus I'm not sure it will be safe to bring a Concrete Truck back here.

big rockpile

5. big rockpile

Well the Boss (wife) got home said we would only save $10 by doing it ourselves.So I guess we'll go with Ready Mix.

big rockpile

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds a lot closer to the truth on these deals. Was wondering where you found such cheap mix-your-own stuff.

--->Paul