Concrete Curing Compound?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Jul 22, 2006.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I am going to be pouring a footing and 6" wall on one part of my property that has no access to water. Temps here have been around 100 degrees the past few days and I know these are less than ideal conditions for curing.

I was wondering what you folks would suggest here. A spray-on curing compound, or burlap and plastic sheets. Which is gonna be cheaper and which is gonna be the most effective? Also, has anyone ever tried using waste motor oil as a release agent on plywood forms? Thanks!

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

for the most part the curing "compound" is not a compound at all, its just a sealer that tries to keep the moisture from evaporating from the concrete. if you're absolutely are not going to be around during the cure stage. its ok but expensive. plastic is probably better. if you are around to keep surface moist with a fog from a hose or something. then drop cloths, straw, about anything that will keep sun off and hold moisture would be fine. , plastic is probably less work and cheapest.

3. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I have use mixtures for pouring concrete when temps are below 10F. But I have never used anything when pouring concrete with temps above freezing.

I do use a lot of micro-fibres in my concrete. I really live the stuff and how it changes the concrete's abilities.

I would say to just cover it with burlap [or any cheap fabric drop clothes] and wet it down.

Good luck.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Wouldn't Calcium Chloride added to the mix accomplish the same quick set requiremant as if it were cold? Cold is dry.

5. wheeezil

wheeezil Well-Known Member

diesel fuel for release oil on plywood

6. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

chloride is an add mixture to prevent freezing. not really the same as curing compound.

7. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

IF its a footing and a wall . the hydration should'nt' be that bad on the wall since it will still have the forms on it. IF you use plastic make sure it isn't black. But I never heard of covering a footer. But if I was going to I would use sawdust. It will stay wet longer than anything. But if you have no water its moot point. I would think with the footer in the ground it will stay relatively cool. Now a slab is a whole different animal

8. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Want to slow down the drying process? Ice. Call the batch man and ask him to have ice put in the drum to cool it down so i don't set up so fast. Need to have something to make sure the forms release easy? Form oil. Not the same thing as diesel and costs more, but it works best.