Concerns about new goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Apr 14, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, a few weeks ago I purchased a registered Nubian Doe. She is 4 years old.
    She had a 3 month old buck that she was still nursing a bit.
    So we brought her home and grained her up, gave her alfalfa, shots, etc.
    She was a kicker. I've managed to calm her down on the milk stand and dh now calls me the goat whisperer. LOL!
    She had not been milked before. This past week she began to show some signs that make me concerned about her. Her teats are getting bigger as we milk, which is great. But she is scabbing between her teats on her udder. At first it looked like pimples and now it's dry and flaky. Is she just irriated? I checked her all over and didn't find this anywhere else on her body. Any ideas?
    Also, she starting to lose "fluffy" hair. It's very soft and and comes right out.
    I am feeding her goat chow, BOSS, afalfa and hay.
    I also forgot to add, that her skin is flaking. Like she has dry skin or something.

I would appreicate any feedback. We have had goats less than a year! I often feel completely lost!

Lori

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

sounds like lice. Her udder could be scabbed because she itches. She can lay down and reach right around and scratch it with her teeth. I've caught one of mine doing this once.

We go through it every spring especially if the winter was windy and colder than the animals could bear, they come into the barn and stay there almost the entire winter.

I used something named GardStar. The main ingrediant starts with"permy..." can't remember the rest but Jeffers has it and you can check the ingredients.

I waited until everyone could be out in the sunshine and sprayed down the barn and all the goats. Everyone of them. If your goats do have lice, it's very contagious. The goat that I was most concerned about, I sprayed her twice. Now she is a milk goat but wasn't in milk at this time, so I sprayed her under carriage extra because of her laying around more than the others...she didn't have any babies begging for a snack.

She started to look better in about a week and a half.

Also need to make sure they have enough copper in their minerals, and free choice them. Lack of copper allows the lice normally present to increase dramatically.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

What are you using to clean her udder with before milking and what do you use on her after milking? That may be drying out her udder.

The fluffy hair loss could just be her winter undercoat shedding because the weather is warming up? Don't know what the weather is like in your part of the country. It has been around 80 and some does over that here in Texas and my goats are shedding like crazy and one has the flakey skin. Giving the BOSS should help their hair coat but it will take time. Like a couple months before you see the new pretty shiney hair. Do you have some clippers. You could give her a bath with something mild and when she is dry shave her down, like a show clip and get off all that nasty winter coat...when it gets warm enough there.

Sounds like she is getting excellent care from her new Mom.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My first time milkers have done this on their teets before...just keep milking and apply bag balm after. Be sure to disinfect before milking with teet dip.

Fluff is undercoat for winter and it also sounds like lice.

Try milking opposite hand to teet to avoid the sore spot.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Like other's have said, the fluff is just the undercoat coming off. Mine have finished shedding (with some help 'cause I wanted it to spin), but this is the time of year for it.

The flakey skin could be lice (I use a permethrin dust, or dog flea shampoo containing either permethrin or pyrethrin), it could also be the dry winter skin coming off along with the undercoat.

The BOSS will help if it's dry old skin you're seeing, also make sure she's getting enough copper and selenium. One of my goats gets the dry flakey skin while he sheds, once it's been itched and scratched off it's gone.

6. BlessedMom

Could I use Dimotascous(sp?) Earth?
    Do I dust all the goats with it and the barn?

Thanks!

7. BlessedMom