Conceal carry

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Bubbas Boys, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Bubbas Boys

Bubbas Boys Well-Known Member

What does everyone carry daily. Finally getting my license that I have been putting off. Want a good carry pistol that will be comfy all day. I am not a big guy either. Any recommendations?

2. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I have been carrying a LC9 for the last 5 years , that is a nice size , it really disappears in a IWB or with an light cover garment OWB , and in the right pockets you can even use a pocket holster and pocket carry.

hunter63 likes this.

3. Bubbas Boys

Bubbas Boys Well-Known Member

Great. Thanks. My brother in law is a huge Ruger fan......

4. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

There are a lot or very small 9mm handguns on the market for just this - concealed carry. I would suggest you go to your gun shop and handle all of them. To me there is a huge difference in how different handguns feel in my hands. Also remember - the smaller and lighter the handgun the more kick you will feel along with barrel lift.

Myself - I am a revolver fan and have a Ruger LCR in .38. A bit less potent than a 9mm but in an emergency up-close situation I feel confident enough with it. It's really not that much more bulky that a semi-auto.

5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

I have a co-worker whose wife tried my LC9 she liked it so much she went right out and bougth one , a year later the LC9s came out and she tried it and liked the shorter trigger pull with her arthritis , the LC9s-pro is the gun I wish they had out in 2011 but it wasn't
    I have another co-worker with the LCR they are both good guns.

It's my opinion that small CC revolvers if have they don't have shrouded or bobbed hammer , you shouldn't get in the habit of pulling back the hammer you don;t need to pull back a hammer in an emergency situation , if you have a hammer make sure that your doing your practice double action they way you will need to be shooting in a SD event.

running hammers single action are for taking game of opportunity , and bullseye shooting not SD

6. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

I carry a 1911 mainly because it is thinner than most 45s and double stack 9mm. The rugers are great. I have carried my USP, a glock 19, and a sig 229. What I am wearing will also dictate. If I'm on my property I will usually carry my glock 19 openly just because it has 15+1 and I personally don't care what happens to it in regards to dirt dropping and so on, it's also in a Yaqui holster. My wife carries a Taurus pt738 and a walther pk380.

My personal advice when you decide on a pistol before you carry it daily take it out back or to a range and run 500 plus rounds through it and make sure you don't have maligunctions. Buy several boxes of the ammo you will carry with it and make sure they feed reliably, I know it's expensive but some pistols don't like massive hollow points and a ftf would suck when you need it. Best way to dodge that issue on a 1911 is have a ramped barrel. Good luck!

IndyDave likes this.
  7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

when I got my LC9 first thing I did was run 300 rounds through it with no malfunctions and a hundred of the rounds I was going to carry , actually I have never had a malfunction with the ruger ammo wise the chamber seems generous enough to feed it all from 115 fmj , my 124s all the way up to some 147 rangers I tried out.

my glock 17 had one failure on a reloaded round that was bulged funny , while my son was shooting it but other than one explainable bad round that glock is over 3K the other over 2K without any issue

I carry the 17 some times , 17+1 and my speed and familiarity with it from running it regular in action pistol league

I make my own Kydex holsters now so I make it however I want and they only cost me time and a few dollars in kydex and parts

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

My wife and I use the same ammo, .45acp. I carry mine in a magazine, she carries hers in a clip.

My carry weapon is a Kimber Ultra RCP (3" barrel). It has undergone the "melt" treatment by the Kimber gun shop, which means it has no sharp corners or edges. It is as smooth as a piece of polished slate. You'll notice it does not have the traditional front and rear sights. He has a trough or gutter sight lengthwise down the center of the slide. It took some getting use to, but I really like the sight.
    [​IMG]

My wife's carry weapon is a S&W 325PD AirLite. It weighs only 26 ounces which is very light considering that it is a full size N-frame revolver. She can load 6 rounds into her wheelgun faster than I can load a mag into my 1911.
    [​IMG]

9. flewism

flewism Well-Known Member

I carry an S&W shield, wife carries an S&W Airweight.

10. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Ruger LCP .380 pocket......LCR .357 in the truck, may or may not have the NAA Mini .22 mag tucked somewhere....

Bubbas Boys likes this.
  11. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

1911 once the cool weather comes around. Regardless of brand or style of gun, your holster will dictate whether it is comfortable or not.

IndyDave likes this.
  12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Pick a gun that fits your hand well first.

You can make most of them comfortable to carry with the right holster, and they are all "easy" to conceal with a little planning.

I like a Glock 23.

13. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

I only own 3 handguns but my favorite is my S&W M&P Pro full size 9mm. After trying many handguns this one is the most comfortable for me to hold and shoot with my nasty Arthritis. It is kind of a difficult one to conceal carry in the warmer months. When cooler I wear it on a belt holster with a flannel shirt not tucked in.

However it is always in the console of my truck. I rarely leave my truck when we go anywhere as I can't walk through the big stores any more.

14. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

If you ain't got it, it does you no good. Ruger LCP.

It's what works for me, YMMV.

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My wife has a little Ruger LCP .380 because most around her have .380,s

big rockpile

16. siberian

siberian Well-Known Member

Ruger 380 is incredible. Can't see it in fairly snug jeans. I am also looking into a wheel gun with no Hammer. Sights, I don't care about, they aren't made for that use anyway

17. Chuck R.

Chuck R. Well-Known Member

I generally carry guns in "pairs" meaning I have a primary, which is preferably a compact (G19 sized) and a sub-compact for when I can't conceal the compact well enough. Currently the pairs are an HK P2000 LEM trigger in 357SIG and a Walther PPS in 9mm. For the sub compact s I prefer a 9mm.
    [​IMG]

The P2000 has both .40 and 357SIG barrels, I had it plated in Robar NP3 plus and the action reworked and reset shortend. Just shot it this weekend in a Dave Spaulding Vehicular Combatives class and the 357S with bonded bullets does well against auto glass.

My best advice would be don't sweat the caliber as long as you can shoot it well. Pick something you can afford to shoot and will practice with. I reload 357S for a few pennies more per round than I do 9mm. IF I was buying factory ammo I'd stick with 9mm.

Chuck

18. Texaspredatorhu

I love HKs! They make my heart pitter patter! 357sig is also an awesome round, bought a 40 s and w sig years ago and they guy urged me to buy a 357 sig barrel with it, I shot he 40 first and the 357 second and never put the 40 barrel back in.

Chuck R. likes this.
  19. Chuck R.

Chuck R. Well-Known Member

Had to give you a "like" for that cause I plan on stealing it later......

I use the .40 barrel for classes and an occasional match when I might not get my 357S brass back. I've also got a SIG 226 with .40 and 357S barrels, the 357S really moves out in the longer barrels, easy to get 1400+ with the 125 grain bullets and the recoil is still manageable. Unfortunately (or fortunately cause it was easy to find during the ammo drought) it's pretty much a niche caliber.

Chuck

20. Texaspredatorhu

Absolutely correct on it being a niche caliber. But like those who say only colt makes a 1911, it too has a cult following. Great round but brass is high and loaded ammo is high. I did however find a bunch of once fired a few years ago and instead of buying 250 cases like I intended I bought them out and bought 1500 cases, still have a bunch I haven't reloaded, maybe someday.

Chuck R. likes this.