Computer Questions? Computer Whizzes? Meet here!

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Kelle in MT, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Carla has made a request to all the FL's . Since the last shutdown of Homesteading Today, we've lost a whole thread 8O (Intro to Animals) She simply doesn't have the time, so she's asked me to have each of you FL's make backup copys of ALL threads that pertain to your chapters. I would suggest saving the information to disc or CD and not on your hard drives, as you may loose them there if your computer dies. If you have any questions I'll try to help, although I'm no computer geek ;) This is something she is asking each of us as FL's to keep up with. I might suggest making back ups and adding any new information to them each week. To keep track of where you left off, just post a reminder on the thread. I do ask that you post a reply here when you've completed this task, so I know which chapters are finished. Thank you for all your hard work as FL's on this project.
    Blessings,
    Kelle in MT

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have never backed up web files. Can I just cut and paste to Word and then save that?

3. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

Carla has asked me to be an FL to an up and coming chapter...how do I save the stuff as a backup?

4. Kelle in MT

I'm no computer wiz 8O , but I've done just as Anne(BCR) has said, you copy then paste the information to Microsoft Word or some such program. Then you should be able to save to disc or to CD. I've not done saving to CD but have done it to disc. A CD will hold much more information, that is all I know. If anyone has problems we'll have to find a computer wiz to help us out. Thanks again for all your hard work FL's ;)

5. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Hi there! The main thing is to have all the information intact: the username, date, and text of the message. The most important posts are the ones that contain recipe test results and how-to section comments. Those are the ones we'll be arranging in such an order as to parallel where they appear in the book and re-posting in a special new searchable web area for the public at www.carlaemery.com.
    Gratefully,
    Carla

6. Carla Emery

It would be so great if one or more computer whiz TESTERS would volunteer to do it for one or more FLs, especially the ones who are not so comfortable with the technology.

7. rewalston

hmm I just got smacked with a "use your blank cd's" :D If that is all that it needs is to cut-n-paste, I can do that. Do you want the WHOLE thing backed up? I mean every topic as listed?

8. Carla Emery

Rusty, in my wildest dreams, I'd love for the Whole Thing 8O to be backed up, YES! And I'm sure that no FL would fight you for the right to do so. Are you volunteering???!!! :?:
    Carla

9. rewalston

umm umm hmm there is that "V" word again hehe. Oh I guess I can see what kinda mischief I can get into :)

10. rewalston

if one is going to stick one's foot in their mouth, might as well go whole hog and do a good job at it :)

11. Carla Emery

How are the pix doing? I've taken to nagging everybody who has pictures to work on... You're good at volunteering, Rusty, no great! But sometimes you bite off an awful lot and it's hard for you to get it all chewed up. If another computer whiz feels so moved to come along here and offer to help you, I think that would be terrific!!!

12. rewalston

Pictures? ummm What pictures? :D They are done and placed onto the cd...ready to shove in the mail. I'm all out of things to do now :0 well besides re-reading the chapters that is. I've been off school for a couple of weeks...brain break so to speak. I start back up on the 14th. So I figure I can take a look at the forum tomorrow and see what kind of trouble I can get into :D After they are backed up what do you want done with them? I hear CDROM make nice frizbees :)

13. Kelle in MT

WOWEE! does this mean I don't have to try to back up the FP and BSRP chapters?? If so thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I have company off and on for the next few weeks and my garden is starting to produce 8O, so I've really got my hands full right now.
    Blessings,
    Kelle in MT.

14. HorseyGirl

HorseyGirl Member

Hi, new to the TESTERS board, but I wanted to volunteer what computer help I may be able to offer. I have some experience in web design, database, programming in C++, HTML, and VB, the MS Office suite, Macromedia DW and FW, general computer use, and what knowledge I don't have right on hand can usually be gotten. My dad builds and programs computers too. :) So, if I can be of help to alleviate some of the load, let me know. :D

15. Carla Emery

This is a post that Rusty PMed to me and I want to share it with the rest of you TESTERS. I'm sitting here shedding tears of joyful relief to have this problem solved. :D :( Just wish we had thought of this before I lost Intro to Animals 2. I know the already overworked, wonderful FLs are going to be relieved, also, to learn that the experts will be taking care of it! (Kelle, please let them know they're off the hook.)

I see that TESTERS now has an informal computer committee with rewalston and horseygirl (whose expertise is mind-boggling!!!). Let's make that an official part of the TESTERS structure. I nominate you, Rusty, to chair the TESTERS Computer People, based on your experience with and your track record of service to TESTERS! Anybody want to second that?

By the way, what does TTFN stand for?
    Gratefully,
    Carla

16. HorseyGirl

HorseyGirl Member

TTFN = Ta ta for now.

As an update to Rusty and Carla, all topics on pages 4 and 5 out of 5 have just been completed.

And I second the nomination, even though I have only been around a short time. :)

17. rewalston

Aw shucks :oops: TTFN is the same as TTYL :D that is "ta ta for now" and "talk to you later" hehe sorry some old BBS lingo ummm that is Bulletin Board System....pre-internet :D . Ok so umm what should I do make a sticky saying if you have computer questions please post here?

18. Carla Emery

OK. Motion made and seconded. Approved by acclamation! :D
    Rusty, I think a special sticky for the computer people to offer advice to the weaker among us is a great idea. And I need to ask. Is the TESTERS Computer group going to take over webmastering on my website(s)? And shall we consider the creation of the long dreamed of and much talked about searchable, recipes in order of pages, addition of all the TESTER reports to carlaemery.com as the next challenge?
    Gratefully,
    Carla

19. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

You can't until your ISP upgrades its software.

20. Carla Emery

Welcome to another computer whiz, Maureen!
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've made up my mind to move it. About that other thing I was asking you of...???