Compulsive buying...... oh dear

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Dec 2, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

You know there is help groups for people who are compulsive shoppers but does that include impulsive buying of livestock??! HAHA!!
    I had a nice time visiting Lycuem's farm today looking at all her critters and must say had a great time. I went to look at 4 does in particular and ended up coming home with 7! HAHA!! I used to just have saanens, boers and 2 recorded grades that look all saanen and now I have saanens, lamanchas (got that one from another friend today! HAHA!), oberhaslis, a sable and added 3 more recorded grades and plus the boers! HAHA!! I'm getting ready to go get em all settled in but had to come in to get the kids (human ones :p ) all settled in first and thought I'd just post on here while at it. I'm gonna try to get some pictures too while I'm at it. I'm excited and am really likin the oberhasli's but have never had em before.
    Anywho thanks a lot Carisa for taking the time to show us around and we had a really nice time! You've got some nice critters there!
    I'll post pictures when I can......

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have never gone somewhere to buy "ONE" goat, and not come home with at least three.

"I'll make you a great deal if you take this one too. And an even BETTER deal if you take this one.."

"Oh, you're going to take Suzie? Her buddy there, Oreo, is going to be so lonesome, oh well, I guess we'll manage.."

There should be a 12 step program for people like me.

3. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

I know how that goes. I went to look at a horse today, and ended up with a horse and 2 new nigerian does! Not to mention the two I got last weekend!

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I plan to drive 9 hrs. next weekend to get 7 nigerians and had better not come back with any more or they will be sitting in my wife's lap. :nono: That would probably mean a sad Christmas for me. I have a small Nissan truck with a camper shell .
    Some of the goats are small though. Well maybe I might could squeeze in just one more. Better take some extra $$$$$$$$$$ just incase there is room. :) :) :) Can't hardly wait.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Too bad you compulsive goat buyers don't live in Montana. I've got a few goats I need to sell. Nigies, Boers and a nice Nubian buck as well as wethers. I used to be a compulsive goat buyer, too. Now my does provide me with plenty of new goatlings every spring. I only added a new buckling to my herd this year from someone else's farm.

6. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

I am the same way, but not with just goats. "Hey, Renee, we have some rabbits we are giving away, you know of someone looking for some?" I usually take them, with the intention of giving them to a 4-H kid, but, they are still in the barn. "Hey, Renee, I have 2 lamancha does to sell for $75 for both, are you interested?" Well, I now have those 2 (mean, what a deal, 2 does, $75!!!) Help!!!!!
    Renee

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Hey, I have two lamancha does I'll sell for $75. I'll even breed them. Both registered.

8. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

9. allenslabs

HAHA!! See...... they really do need an addiction group for this! HAHA!!! I am now up to 38 large goats and 7 babies..... man...... 45 goats..... that sounds like one heck of a lot of goats and I'm wanting to get to up to 100 head of just boers alone not including my dairy goats! HAHA! Fun times fun times.... haha!

10. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, I know what you mean. On one of my last buying trips I came home with a wild ND doe, and an extra Oberhasli doeling that was just too pretty to pass up! That was an extra goat at each stop. I was really tempted on my trip to Southern OR, but was too broke to buy more than just the beautiful LaMancha buck I went after! We're up to 16 goats now, counting the sold Pygmy doe that has never been picked up (paid for, but it's been about 2 months now....), the NG doe that we are dehorning and taming before we sell her, the Alpine wether we are raising for a future cart goat, the lone Nubian we've had too long (but love too much to sell), and all the Alpines, Obers and LaManchas. Expecting lots of kids in the spring, so I don't think I should be goat shopping anymore!

Of course, if CrowingHen isn't gonna get those 2 LaManchas from DocM, I'm interested. ;) PM me, Doc, if you're still looking for a buyer. :D

11. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Can we maybe start one?

Ruth

12. Mortgage-Hill

Mortgage-Hill Active Member

now now Jessi,, LOL you know goats are like chips, can't just have one!!!!!

13. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

That email bounced - probably something I did! I pm'd you.

14. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Really. How many people say "I'll just have two, because they're herd animals, and I'll SELL ALL THE BABIES". Right......

"I can make soap, and can the milk, and maybe get a pig to feed the extra milk to!" Goat owners are professional excuse makers.

15. allenslabs

OH we are aren't we? I can think of so many reasons to get a goat, whether needed or not is no real concern. Ya know..... "Oh but this one doesn't look like any other one I have, Oh I love her papers, Oh she's so sweet, My daughter'll like this one she's so neat...........etc,etc,etc...." HAHA!! But then when it comes to selling..... "Oh man I'd like to sell her but she's so sweet, I can't part with her my daughter would be so mad, man I'd like to giver another freshening to really see that udder.....etc,etc,etc....." HAHA!! Don't ya love it? HAHA!! I keep telling myself though with these dang boer..... "there is a loan to pay back and the bank don't care HOW cute they are....." HAHA!! So I'm working on it. Still have 10 months to go~ HAHA!! ANd also 30 to have babies......high hopes, high hopes....lol!
    And I had about 10 gallons of milk a day this spring and some really fat dogs! But hey......saved on dog food!! HAHA!!

16. logdog365

logdog365 Active Member

yeh the last time i was out and about i had to kill a few minutes my granddaughter and i raced to the sale where we of course immediately found 2 babies that just could not live without us they were calling our names we are not to be trusted any where in the vicinity of anything with a heart beat it is an addiction but if people would not treat animals as throwaways maybe those of us who rescue could catch a break ah! who am i kidding (no pun intended) i would make up trouble so i could bring more home ee! gads !

17. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

What? That's exactly what I'm doing.... right?