Comprehensive winter vehicle kit

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HilltopDaisy, Dec 7, 2004.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Putting mine together, and I'd like to read about what you all keep in your vehicles for winter emergency situations, or just for all-around preparedness.

I have a plastic tote containing rope, flares, a fire extinguisher, a blanket, a towel, a dog muzzle and leash, a phone book (cell phone in my purse, never leave home without it), shovel, multi-tool device and a larger knife, and a small first aide kit that I put together. I bungee this to the back of my truck right below the window behind my seat. Truck has a cap on it. I have sandbags for weight so I could use sand under the tires if I were stuck.

For winter, I keep a waterproof-type bag behind the passenger seat, containing more seasonal items. So far I have a candle inside an empty can (heat source), waterproof matches, spare gloves, two of the small emergency heat pouches, and several power-bar food items. I have a hat and scarf, another blanket and a pair of boots behind my seat. I'd like to pick up one of those devices that you use to bust out a window if you're trapped.

I drive 45 minutes to work and back, second shift, so I'm coming home at midnight. Some highway and some back roads. Anything I'm forgetting? What do you do differently? Is there any way to carry water without it freezing and busting the container?

A few safety issues, too. If your car goes in a ditch, NEVER go down in the ditch to try to free it. I heard of a woman who was pinned and killed doing this. If you have any sort of fire/heat in your vehicle, be sure to vent it properly. Any more you'd like to add?

2. Gerry Mazerolle

Gerry Mazerolle Member

Well HilltopDaisy the first item on my list I do not see on yours and here in New Brunswick, Canada, that would be booster cables.

Gerry Mazerolle
    http://www.homesteadsforsale.com

3. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

most inportant is
    a snowsuit or very warm clothing, extra socks, blanket in case engine stalls and won't start., or if you have to go hiking

Some candy bars or high energy snaks for the long wait.

flashlight

flares or signal light

don't count on the cell phone working :)

shovel is good if you don't over do it trying to dig out

4. HilltopDaisy

oops, forgot to say it, but I do have the flashlight and jumper cables.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Dying to know, what is the dog chain and muzzle for?

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Sorry Y'all but I walk to work. My emergency kit is a hat & gloves & a poncho for when it rains.

7. HilltopDaisy

Dog muzzle and leash, in case I ever encounter a dog that's been hit by a car.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Put an empty can or metal cup in your kit and just melt snow over your candle for water.

Don't forget the TP!

A better heater is put a roll of toliet paper in a metal coffee can. Pour a quart bottle of rubbing alcohol over the toliet paper. Light the top of the TP. When you're warm enough, blow the fire out and cover the can with its plastic lid to keep the remainder of the alcohol from evaporating.

9. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Hilltop,
    A sleeping bag plus the blanket would be good, plus one of
    those tiny reflecting emergency blanket...only the size of a
    handkerchief.
    For fluids, those juice boxes freeze and thaw without breaking
    so you can leave them in your car all winter. And don't eat any
    thing unless you have water or fluid to take with it.
    In my emergency backpack (easy way to carry all of it), I also
    carry a tarp, in case you have to abandon your vehicle (fire??),
    and you can use the tarp to make some kind of shelter.
    Also, I carry pepper spray in case someone comes along who
    wants to help in an unappropriate way...it might work on a
    nasty dog or maybe a nasty bear also.
    A lighter and a magnesium starter would be good in addition to
    your matches.
    Have a couple extra pair of socks so if your feet get wet in snow/rain,
    or just because your feet have sweat and become damp. A knit hat
    or ski mask will keep in the heat.
    In case of getting stuck in a blizzard with low temps, a set of long-
    johns, and a set of sweat pants would make you much more comfortable.
    The idea is not to look great, but to stay alive! The cold will kill you before
    a lack of water or food. But the air will kill you if you don't ventilate while
    trying to heat.
    If you often travel with any animals, keep a bag of food in the vehicle, and take
    a jug of water with you each time you get into the vehicle in the winter with the
    animal. Aha! The animal will help with heat also. :)
    Will check my emergency back pack and make sure I haven't forgotten anything
    that others haven't mentioned.
    Ann

10. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I put a bag of kitty litter in the car-it's great for when you're stuck on ice...
    or run out of TP :eek: :haha:

11. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Hilltopdaisy,
    I saw a spot on Primetime or Dateline once that said that carrying a standard nail punch that a carpenter uses works just as well as any fancy tool used to break out a car window. Cost is no more than two bucks. Have no idea if this works, so use it FWIW.
    clove

12. Sara in IN

Sara in IN Well-Known Member

Wool socks, if you're not wearing them already, plus an extra pair, waterproof gloves, a WARM sleeping bag and if getting buried in a drift is a real worry, mount a CB whip antenna on the bumper with a "flag" at the top.

For water, 3/4 fill some 20-24 oz plastic water bottles(vending machine type), screw down the tops well and put in a plastic rubbermaid tote. Rotate out the waterbottles, dump and refill every couple of months. Chocolate is always good to keep on hand - plain ol Hershey bars are now in a sealed packet, so melt and reharden is not a problem. Also small packs of not very salty nuts are good. Another small LED flashlight and spare batteries are always useful, as are some of the chemical heating handwarmers.

13. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I no longer live where I need to carry such things in the winter but when I did live there I had a couple of things in the box that you might want to add.
    Wind up / solar radio that way you don't have to worry about if the batteries are good.
    a plastic whistle: that way if you can see someone off in the distance you don't have to strain your voice calling for help

another thing I'd add in my box today is some of those little lights that you snap and shake and they last for about 7 hours. Another 'no need to worry about batteries' thing

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I carry at least one handyman hi-lift jack, aka alaska jack, or farm jack.... with 2 a person can completely turn a vechile around in the middle of a snow drift, or get out of a mud bog or even a ditch....... but they can kill you or knock out your teeth if you are not careful.

I also keep tow chains and clevis and shackles for pulling me or somebody else out or home.... Ive been gonna put a tow cable on my frame both front and back for years but never have...

I have mainstay rations under the seat year round for those unexpected long stays out somewhere [non thirst provoking] and of course there is always the B.O.B. at hand which gets rotated as the seasons dictate.

Also i carry the best firearm in the world [LAR 45 Win Mag] and a few extra rounds, in the backcountry roads a person never knows what type of critter they are gonna find in the winter or other months for that matter.

I also use older woold blankets as seat covers, which in a pinch then can be converted to a wrap to keep a person warm.

For heating water and such i use a folding stove and hexamene or trioxane fuel tablets which will boil a quart of water in 7 minutes and can be put out and relit later..... i have a stainless serria type cup for melting ice and snow but also carry water in the form of coffee in my stainless vaccum bottles so i usually have plenty of moisture on hand for me.

Since my work rig is usually my transportation i also have a host of tools that stay in it year long, and if i know a part is weak then too i have that extra part to be able to change it out..... belts and such [I drive old FORD pickups and dont have those serpintine belts]

I also have at least 2 changes of clothes, mostly because i work outdoors and if i have to change before coming home, then i have a dry shirt yet for an emergency.

I carry tire chains for all four corners too been on blackice that it was the only way to keep it on the road. samething in my wifes rig too forthe most part.

William

15. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Perfect timing, Hilltop, because my cargo duffle with emergency supplies was stolen in a car prowl just last week, and I've got an inventory right in front of me. Here's my basic list:

First aid kit
    Extra first aid supplies: Latex gloves, hydrogen peroxide, foldable scissors, sanitary pads, butterfly closures, suture, tape, aspirin, Benadryl, Immodium, shot of bourbon, tweezers, thermometer, personal medications
    Whistle
    Compass
    Leather gloves
    LED/spot headlamp with extra batteries
    Lantern with extra 6-volt battery
    Rechargeable batteries & solar charger
    Dust masks (surgical style)
    Iodine tablets
    Water purifier tablets
    Swiss army knife
    Serrated utility knife
    Duct tape
    Toiletry kit
    Antibacterial wipes
    Reading glasses
    Roll of TP
    Thin nylon rope
    Trowel
    Nylon tarp with grommets
    Tie-down clips
    Bungee cords
    Space blanket
    Sleeping bag
    Crank-operated shortwave/weather/AM radio
    Cell phone
    Notepad & pencil
    Flares
    Waterproof matches in waterproof container
    Plastic zip-locs, sturdy large trash bags
    Rags
    Food & water
    Can opener, set of plastic utensils
    Rain poncho and chaps
    Extra clothing, including cold weather stuff
    Hiking boots & socks
    Chemical handwarmers
    Fleece gloves
    Cash in $1 bills
    Nylon pouches & stuff sacks for keeping it all organized
    Jumper cables
    Can of air (for emergency tire repair)
    Lug wrench that works (large cross-bar best for weaklings)
    Kitty litter (OP is right--it's great on ice)