ComposTumbler in greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BearCreekFarm, Oct 9, 2006.

1. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

We started putting up our greenhouse yesterday, and may see snow as early as Wednesday- yikes! We are definitely NOT ready for winter. I scrambled around all day today trying to get the barn in order for winter. I filled all four of our outdoor compost bins to the brim, though I doubt they will do much more this season. I am still adding material to the ComposTumbler, which is in the barn. I was dreading the day when I have to empty it and put it away for the winter, when it occured to me to move the whole thing into the new greenhouse. In theory, I should then be able to continue composting all winter.

Anyone see a downside to this? Any reason it would not work?
    btw- The greenhouse is an attached 10' x 28', and extremely well insulated.

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

The only potential problems I see are:

1) critters getting into the compost like mice and other rodents.I don't know if I would want them so close to the house. But, you may preempt the problem by keeping a greenhouse kitty.

2) Where is the liquid compost waste going to go? If it is a dirt floor, no problem. But, with a real floor you may want to have some sort of collection bin under it.

That's all I can come up with for now.

Nikki

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

1) Critters such as mice and other rodents CANNOT get into a ComposTumbler.

2) Concentrated compost tea is easily collected as it drips from a ComposTumbler.

There is no good reason why a tumbler can not be operated in a greenhouse. On the Alaskan North Slope and other establishments near the Arctic Circle, ComposTumblers are used only inside buildings with no problems.

Martin