composting Toilets

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Helena, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Have always thought about using one in our house and since I just ...might need to have the septic pumped..was thinking if the old septic has seen better days...maybe I would go compost. I have a couple of friends that have used them as "full time" toilets and have no problems with them. But now when I have checked into the prices..UGH !!..they are over a $1000 now !! Guess I should have gotten one many years ago. Wondering if anyone can tell me about theirs...and what was your cost. Is there a composting toilet outlet store ?? checked on line and the prices aren't much better than buying directly from the fellow near us that sell them from his store.

2. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hi Helena~
    Unfortunately don't have time to post details right now but there was a previous thread about composting toilets where I told of our experiences with our Envirolet composting toilet. It's been nothing but hassles and as of a few days ago one of the mixer bars has broken off too.... :grit:
    Wish we'd have just gone with a bucket and sawdust at this point.
    If ya can't find the thread I'll try to post later tonight when I've got a bit more time.
    Steph

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't heard of good luck with any of the smaller purchased composting toilets if used full time. I know lots of folks, my family included, who have used various home-built composting toilets or outhouses for years with good results. Read the "Humanure HandbooK" for info and ideas.

4. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Helena,

We had a composting toilet, a Sun Mar (which I sold on Ebay), which is good one. But we changed over to the sawdust toilet. But I will say that we have decided to get a regular septic put in, and forego the composting bucket chores.

Our Sun-Mar, we bought used for $200. and it was like new. You can find used ones if you really want one.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm putting in home built composting toilets here. I'm using the plans from 'the Toilet Papers' by Sim Van der Ryn. Don't think materials for two of them will run anywhere close to 1k.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter