Composting Horse stall shavings

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rwzzz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. rwzzz

rwzzz Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get lots of free Horse manure to compost for my garden. Looking at it though it is mostly wood shavings with manure mixed in. I'm thinking that all that would would raise the PH and I will have to add lime to bring it to neutral? Does this sound right?

Thanks
    Bob Z
    NE Pa

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We have used horse manure/shavings mix and it is wonderful! Just make sure it is aged at least three months as horse doo doo is high in nitrogen. i assume the shavings are hardwood and if so will have somewhat of an alkaline effect. Don't add lime though as lime RAISES ph, doesn't lower it. I really wouldn't worry about it though unless your soil is very alkaline to begin with and you are using a lot of the manure.

3. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Actually, most finished compost is ph nuetral, so compost it first if you're worried. You should compost it first anyway because horse manure can be really high in weed seeds. Once composted, no problem.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What about the residual chemicals from horse worming drugs? Does this enter the picture conserning earthworms?

5. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Never thought about that, Mitch.

We worm our horses/cows and use their manure in our garden .... which is RICH with worms!! I think it should be fine!

BobZ - Any manure you can get your hands on, the better!