Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that may be silly but I am very new to most of this way of life. I'm wondering if there are any problems mixing goat manure, chicken manure and compost made from kitchen scraps and yard waste? The combined mixture would be used as fertilizer for veggie gardens and fruit trees and shrubs. I live in North Carolina so the soil here is a clay mixture. Are there any known issues by using all of these together? Would it be more beneficial to compost these 3 elements separately or just lump it all together and compost it that way? I only know that chicken waste is high in nitrogen so by itself can burn plants if the nitrogen content is high enough.

My questions will be theoretical for awhile since I do not have my land yet to have simple livestock and gardens. I like to plan ahead so I have an idea of what I can use everything for and set my building structures up to best suit these needs. From what I've combed through on all these forums, you all are the best source of information I've found. All your individual knowledge and experiences have been a blessing to myself and family for our future dreams.

My own gardening experience is only a couple years spread out of growing a variety of veggies and strawberries with store bought materials. Thank you in advance for your thoughts. =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts