composting cattle

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MELOC, Dec 25, 2005.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i was discussing all of the interesting composting information i have gathered here and on the m.e.n. i was talking of plans for a composting hot water heater, etc. my sister works for a vet and she told me something that about knocked me off of my chair. it is expensive to dispose of cattle so they are now composting them. my understanding is that they use a large amount of wood mulch. it has to be done on a slab of concrete. i suppose this is to control the leachate. i never new it was possible to safely compost an animal.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Its common in the hog industry and being encouraged everywhere. From what I've heard they need the slab so the compost can be turned and to retain moisture. Not very different than burial in the manure pile really, just more controlled.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I coverd mydead ram in wood chips and recovered him (buzzards) every few days but only 200 lbs tops

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I compost all the waste from butchering my poultry as well as any that die of natural causes. Takes a lot of browns to absorb and keep the odor under control but makes rich garden soil.

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Same here.

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Composting of domestic animals is one of the approved methods of disposal especially following a large scale disaster (i.e. Hurricane Floyd in the carolinas).

At my home computer I have a very interesting and informative article on the approved methods and pros and cons of large scale animal disposal in the event of natural disaster. I'll make sure to post the link when I get back to the house.

Nikki

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Isn't the ultimate compost/recycling story _Soylent Green_?

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Whenever we lose a chick, duck or goose, I bury them under a new plant. Haven't lost a plant yet!

10. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

It all about the carbon ratio. Unless there is a reason not to I take the legs to feed my dogs, the chickens get their portion too.

Small animals go into the compost bins with the sawdust toilet stuff. If I dug a hole to bury something ( like my favorite dog) it is in the orchard where a tree will be planted. He will be rememebered with every grannysmith apple we pick.