Composting and worm bins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by botesbabe, Jan 12, 2007.

1. botesbabe

botesbabe Active Member

Hi all! I am a newbie here and was wondering if someone could direct me to the correct area to read up on composting and worm bin info. I am having a hard time locating them on here.....

Thanks in advance!!

Tonya :doh:

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hi botesbabe, welcome in the door!

There's not a forum dedicated to composting and worms, but if you use the search button up at the top, you'll get lots of threads. Good luck!

Meg

3. catmar

catmar Well-Known Member

I started with a worm bin a few years ago as a project with my DS.

A great starter book is "Worms ate my garbage"

I ordered from this site, it had alot of information. Worm bins aren't hard to keep, I rather enjoy it. So does my DS & garden.

http://www.wormwoman.com/acatalog/index.html

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Google "vermiculture" and youll find hundreds of references

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Gardenweb has a vermicomposting forum. Many of us do it here.

I started mine by drilling holes in a rubberm*d container. Except I put no holes in the bottom two inches. This is because I didn't want drainage out the bottom. For drainage, I put big pieces of styrofoam in the bottom, covered with an old shirt (any cloth will do). This keeps the compost and worms out of any drainage at the bottom (protects the worms from drowning).

Then I soaked, squeeze out excess liquid and layered my stuff to be composted, added the worms. I put a damp section of newspaper on the top to discourage fly larvae. It worked.

There was no smell. I did this in my garage in the winter. Took about three months for them to turn the shredded cardboard, etc. into vermicompost.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, shoot. I thought they were just wanting to find a composting forum on HT. We don't have one. I shoulda mentioned other places that do. I hope I didn't run 'em off!

meg

7. botesbabe

botesbabe Active Member

I was asking about on HT, But am very happy with the links to all the great info! :clap: I am probably gonna start a worm bin also. I have already picked out the place for the compost bins (3 total- one to fill, one to turn, and one to use from! :) )

Thanks everyone!

Tonya

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

Howdy
    I started my worm bin last week. I did not start with a pound of worms but got two tubs at wally world. Bought my bins there also.It is too cool for school. I tried this two years back and had a disaster. Ordered a pound of worms from a guy in Texas and they were delivered no problem in the mail. My trouble began when I placed them in the refigerator. Worms do not like the rumbling of the compressor. In the morning we had a stampede here at the ranch and worms were helter skelter. I gathered them up and put them in an old fridge laying down outside. That night it rained. Lost all 20,000 head that night to drowning in the fridge as I did not know it leaked and filled half way with water. This one seems to be doing real well. here is the site I used in starting this one up
    www.whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

9. alidansma

alidansma Well-Known Member

word from one who has been there....

Be careful with putting holes in your worm bin.
    I did that when I started a few years ago.

I have had ants infiltrate my worm bin twice and almost wiped my worms out.
    Now I keep two bins in case one is breeched I have a backup.

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

put less holes in your bin than you think you need. DS composted all his garbage at college with a plastic trash can in the back hall--interesting conversation piece! DEE