Compost

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jessikate, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

My husband is pretty dead set against composting - I know - sounds crazy to me too. I suppose he thinks it just takes too much time and energy and is smelly.

I would like to build my own small compost bin or composter, but am at a loss as to where to begin. I'm pretty used to using hand tools and power tools, does anyone have some simple instructions for a smallish compost bin.

My plan is to just build one and set it behind the house by the back door that he never uses. I'm overgrown with all sorts of weeds there, and since I have mentioned it needs weeding. he has avoided using that door. I would like to have compost that I can put in with "my" veggie and flower crops, as I know it improves the soil and the quality of the plant.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

a small and fast composter can be made out of fencing wire of any kind. i would make a circle about 2.5 to 3 feet in diameter out of chicken wire or old fence wire. stake it for stability with tomato stakes or metal fencing posts. since it is not to large in diameter, it should work down well rather quickly if you turn it once a month and water it once in a while. just pull the wire off and reassemble next to the pile and repack the ring with the composting material for turning the pile.

3. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks very much.

I just read the other compsost thread and it was quite usefull, I'll be adding soil from the garden, watering it, covering it with a black tarp and turning it. Any other advice?

You folks are great!!!

4. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

You don't even need to build a bin. You could just start a pile behind a tree somewhere where it won't be noticed.

5. Island of Blueb

Island of Blueb Island of Blueb Supporter

They don't smell at all if done right, either. For some reason mine smells kinda like honey.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

chicken wire composters (or wire fencing ones) should only be used if you want SLOW composting, if you are going to be turning it, just take three pallets and screw 'em together, drive a few t-posts and voila, done, and still has an open front side to turn it.

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

if you were closer i would just come over and put one up for you. I just throw everything in between the rows in the garden. in the fall i top with rabbit blessings and sometimes crushed lime then till it all under

8. via media

via media Tub-thumper

ZYG, that's almost exactly what I did. I brought home 4 pallets from work; DH screwed three of them together and put two hinges on the 4th so I could swing it closed and have a box.

/VM

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i figured a small bit of wire would be easier for one person to work with and easier to find.

10. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

My STBX (STBX for many other reasons, too) didn't want me to compost; he thought it would attract rats--like the grapes and apricots didn't? I buried stuff in the garden for years without his knowledge; now I have 3 or more bins going. Compost rocks!

11. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

It is..... and works great, too!!

16 days left... :sing:
    Kitty

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Like Katy, I once-upon-a-time had to be a Clandestine Composter. (Late DH was a pill about "mess" in the yard. This included my vegetable garden.)

ANYway, I also buried kitchen scraps right in the garden. He never figured it out. Also had a bucket going. Put in the goodies, tossed in some dirt, put the lid on, and shook it up once in a while. :)

I also put compostable kitchen scraps into the blender and frappe'd them with a little liquid: water, leftover juice, tea, coffee. Poured that right into the garden as well.

There are ways. Start small, gradually build up. Before you know it, you'll have authentic 3x3 compost piles and he won't even notice them sitting right there! ;)

Pony!

13. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

I am not sure if all Master Gardeners do this, but in PA our Master Gardeners teach a class on composting for free. You just have to register. And, after the class you get a nice, smart looking covered composter. You just set it one the ground and you are in business. No one would ever guess that is it's job. So, call your extention office. It may be too late for this year but you will be prepared for next year.