compost tumblers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rxnwl, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Rxnwl

Rxnwl Well-Known Member

What kind of compost tumblers do you like? I have 6 4x4 square foot boxes. I dont need a big tumbler, but I prefer these to having to turn a pile.
    Any suggestions?

2. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have a tumbler. I have four piles. One on one side of the garden, one on the other, one on the far side of my yard, and one for ALL kitchen scraps. The ones by the garden are the biggest and get tilled up a few times a year. The one for the kitchen scraps is way in the back of the yard and basically gets picked through and turned over by the coons and possums.

I don't do tumblers and think they are too small for my needs. I'd need about 20 of the biggest ones I could fine if I did all my composting with tumblers.

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;O.G. has plans for a tumbler made from 55 gal.barrels.City truckyards have empty barrels that contained soap to wash trucks and will sell them at a nominal price.The plastic ones are easier to cut drill and turn.Not including the barrel the project costs under $20.00.-

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE PLANS. DO YOU HAVE THE LINK TO THE PLANS OR THE FILE?
    Thanks,
    John Gray :cowboy:

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I've had the big ComposTumbler for 10+ years and happy with it. That's the one that is 18 bushel/164 gallons/22 cubic feet. Bigger is always better as it permits batch composting. The smaller ones are best for simply accelerating normal rotting.

Presently there is a long-running thread on Garden Web about how to use a compost tumbler. Because of the length of the thread, it may take a minute to load but worth reading. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/soil/msg120315221410.html?117

Martin

6. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I found the plans, but not at the Organic Gardenng website -- they showed up by entering "compost tumbler" plans in Google. Although the plans come through Organic Gardening, they were actually published in The Mother Earth News. I remember reading about this tumbler at the time, 'cause I have some old skates I want to use.

A couple of thoughts: put the door on the long side, rather than the end. Easier to unload into a wheelbarrow, perhaps. The commercial tumblers have internal baffles to help turn and mix the compost, like the ones in a dryer. I'd consider adding some.