Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Anyone make their own compost tea? I was wondering when to apply it, before or after irrigating?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

When I am able to garden, I like to have a barrel around to be 'brewing' compost tea as a side dressing. It's diluted and rarely worry about it being too concentrated like other fertilizers. Heavy feediing plants is great to water with compost tea to individual plants. I wouldn't broadcast it with irrigation, but it might make sense for some big areas that it can benefit the roots without it running off.
    Manure tea is great, too. smelly, but great stuff...and you might concentrate that a bit more for nitrogen loving plants...like corn, for intstance.

3. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

How do you make compost tea. I mean, I know how but what are all the goodies you can put in it?

I know one guy around here used milk and fishheads and some other stuff?

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

You find a plastic feed sack or a burlap gunny sack and put a nice shovel full of manure-any kind-in the bag. Put the bag into a 5-gallon bucket of water or a barrel or ??? The bag acts like a 'tea bag' for the manure. Let it sit in the sun for a few days--gets stronger as it sits. Some people put a bit of molasses in the water to help the microbes get busy. When the 'tea' is ready just pull out the 'tea bag' and dump the contents of the bag on a compost pile and use the compost 'tea' to water nitrogen-loving plants such as corn...although I put it on about everything except my lettuce and such. That seems to get big and leafy all too soon as it it is. The 'goodies' in the tea help keep some plant diseases at bay too. This is a VERY GOOD thing to do for your garden, and roses, and most everything else that grows! :)

5. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

Back before I was sick (5 years ago), I saw some folks put a little flame under a 55 gal barrel and ferment milk and a bunch of other stuff and put that on their vegi's. They claimed to get huge vegi's. I mean like giant "huge".

Ever hear of any of these recipes? I do dung tea now. It's good but this other stuff is supposed to be THE "stuff".