Compost Sifters??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by james dilley, Nov 28, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Who her has one?? Any one else ever make one? I will bemaking one tomorrow. Its going to be 12"X48 " in size. Thats the size of the 1/4 " hardware cloth I have left over. I know thats rather small. But its to fit the wheelbarrow. I Am going to use 1"X3" lumber. Free Pallets. Thats my lumber source for these projects..

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i would make it 24X24 myself. i just think it would be easier to use that way. whatever floats your boat though. i know this, i made one really small once because the scrap wire cloth i had was about 14 X 14. i never use that tiny thing. another mistake on that small sifter was leaving the wire ends exposed and attaching with staples instead of another board...ouch!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

ok...it's been a long day of hunting and packing meat...i guess you would have sharp ends to deal with if you cut the cloth and did it my way. nevermind, lol.

4. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I'm such a slacker. When I use my compost, I just pull out anything bigger than a golf ball if I happen to see it when I shovel the stuff into the wheelbarrow!

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Quarter-inch is really small unless your compost is so aged that it's virtually broken down to individual cells. It will clog so fast that you'll only be able to work a little at a time. I use half-inch hardware cloth only for when I have some real old stuff that's needed for potting mix. Even then, nothing much bigger than an eighth-inch gets through. Otherwise, everything goes directly into the garden soil no matter if it's a half-inch or dust.

Martin