Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my research into greenhouses, i encountered a few pdf's about compost and solar powered greenhouses. i thought it would be interesting to discuss it. i will have to search another computer to find the info for posting here, but the concept was pretty interesting. the greenhouses were built with a northern wall that housed composting manure and the heat from the compost was used to heat the greenhouse. it required a good bit of manure tended weekly, but i think it would be an awesome thing to try for someone who has access to lots of materials for composting and enough time to dedicate tothe project. some of the difficulties included dealing with ammonia outgassing from the composting manure. later versions of the greenhouse were designed to circulate air from the composting chambers through growing medium which allowed for the use of the ammonia as fertilizer.

as i said, i will follow up with as much info as i can find...just as soon as the turkey is in the oven, lol. has anyone else studied this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.