compost bin

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nobs, Jun 19, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

My husband brought home a 4longx3wx2deep wooden box. It has 3 sides, a top and a bottom. How do we make it into a compost bin? Do we have to cut the bottom out? Line it with plastic? Thanks

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

You'll have better luck if you add at least another foot to the height. A 3 x 3 x 3 bin holds enough material to keep itself hot. Do cut the bottom out but don't line it. You need to let the moisture drain out the bottom.

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Well my bottom line nonsense again BUT I have found that just put the junk anywhere and it will rot --- you don't need boxes and over-working.
    I throw all my kitchen scrap in a 5 quart ice cream pail --- if it gets full just put the lid on it and pretty soon you have compost for that favorite plant.

4. poppy

poppy Guest

I agree. Why go to the trouble of a box. The box itself will compost away before too long anyway. I just pile the stuff up and it does fine. Turning it will speed things up, but is not necessary if you are not in a hurry. I make some of my own but get all I want from farmer friends who just pile their cattle manure and old hay or straw up and let it sit. Excellent stuff.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Use the box for other purposes--is my opinion. Remember that a wooden box is carbon material and the composting process breaks down such material. If you would like to make compost fairly fast you will need to turn the pile every so often. Not as easily done in the confines of a box.

If you feel you must confine the compost pile simply put in inside of a round bin made of welded wire, reinforcing wire, etc. To turn the pile, slip off the wire and set it aside. Turn the material then place the mixed material into the wire again.

Just my opinion for what it is worth to you.

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to use a container, you'd be better off using a container that rolls around, like a 50 gallon drum. Drill air holes in it, add fresh manure, and roll it around every day.

7. back_woods_bill

back_woods_bill Member

The best thing to do is to get the humanure handbook. It's the best resoure I've found on the subject.

8. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member