completely exhausted

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

well i had about the prettiest day out here ever today! The wildflowers are AWESOME! Beautiful birds singing and flying around!! I've worked everyday so hard trying to make this place livable. Today I don't know how much I cleared but I worked hard. I've been building an elevated sidewalk to the back fence to prepare for the next rainy season (I'm the one that lives on a flooded property 7 months out of the year). It was so hard mowing and clearing property when the weeds are higher than your tractor. I was moving at a snails pace and had to get off every few minutes to chop something or move a big tree branch (or tree).

I hit the "wall" though today. I've been working the last few weeks with the most incredible muscle sorness but just worked through it, finding different jobs when the pain was really bad. But today I had only 50 feet to go to connect the two paths that would make a complete loop around the property and my muscles said "not today". I couldn't even pick up big branch. I then had the hardest time just shifting the tractor into reverse to back up. It's not muscle pain, that you can work through, it's their complete lack of co-operation and function by them. Just 50 feet that was it, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I've been waiting for this moment for so long and my body will not co-operate. I'm sure you've all been there. I was trying to type an email to my mom today and couldn't type but I seem to have the use of my fingers again (obviously). My thumb went completely numb, but now it's just achy.

Anyone have any home remedies to get my muscles to start behaving again? I know rest and water is good. Taking my minerals too to try to minimze the muscle cramps.

I'm going to see if I can clear some easy stuff tomorrow (the power company's easment looks like a big 8 foot jungle, but I know they've cleared it in the last year so there wont' be any felled trees waiting to tear my tractor up). It won't be as satisfying as connecting my two paths, but at least it'll be a little something done.

Any other ladies out there work hard outside doing things people traditionally thing of as "mans work"? I'd love to hear from you.

2. henk

henk Well-Known Member

Hey Quntmphscs,

"I could even pick up big branch. I then had the hardest time just shifting the tractor into reverse to back up. My thumb went completely numb."

Sounds like RSI, take a few days rest for now. Get used to taking (more) breaks when you work and you should be fine ;) I.e. work an hour, relax ten minutes.

Good Luck Henk

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

There needs to be a warning posted somewhere.
    WARNING!!! BEAUTIFUL DAYS CAN KILL YOU!!! BEWARE!!
    YOU MIGHT WORK YOURSELF TO DEATH!! :haha: :haha:

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have fibromyalgia which gives ones muscle symptoms simlar to what you were describing. I have found the supplement Sam-e to be far more helpful than any prescriptions. You can buy it at WalMart or any drug store. The dose I take (2x200mgs day)is far less than they say you can take so don't let the price scare you. Actually I buy it for long term use on e-bay for about 1/3rd the store cost and better brands too. It has been used in europe (by prescription) for well over 30 yrs so ther are plenty of reports on its safety and effectiveness.

Congratulations on all you have accomplished. You should be very proud of yourself. Hope those muscles start working again soon,

PQ

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Keep your iron level high, that is what takes the oxygen to the muscles.

6. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

It sounds like you really have been pushing hard to finish this.

I would suggest not doing that. It sounds like you pushed and your body started to warn you it needed to have a break, then when you kept pushing your body finally decided it would take a break whether or not you did.

When someone pushes their body that hard they not only will suffer muscle pains but weaken their system and leaves themselves open for sickness.

So what you gain by pushing until you give out usually is lost in days sick in bed.

If it were me I would take a few days and relax,
    Mike

7. Sparticle

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I needed to hear that. I don't have anyone here telling me to slow down, I need to be a better judge at that. I'm going to look into Sam-e and the fibromyalgia. I already have firbrocycstic (spelling) something or other but don't know if the 2 are related - probably not. My big toes and thumbs go numb a lot, don't know if that has anything to do with anything. I guess I just feel that I have a year's worth of work to do in the 5 dry months I get out here. But if I think about it, you guys that live in snowy regions probably have the same issue. During the winter, you can probably only get animals fed and the minimum done outside.

I went out to start working on clearing out the power easement (the power company has done a horrible job) so that my nephews could ride their bikes back there. But it's a lost cause without heavy equipment. There's no way I could get my tractor through that like I thought yesterday. At first glance, it looked like just a lot of weeds and vines. But, there are narled baby tree stumps jutting up and twisted around every couple of feet and they are too big to just mow over. The nephews are coming this weekend but they are going to have to just be happy with the 3' path that I"ve cut almost all the way around the property. That should be fun enough. And there is a small clearing in the back where they can play. I love living in the woods, but MAN when you need an area cleared, it's some work when all you have is a small tractor and a chainsaw!

8. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Having worked long hours climbing 2" stell pipe at 100" in the air for rock concerts I have an idea of what you're dealing with I think. As long as there are no problems with salt or potassium in your diet I'd suggest a gator/powerade type drink - something that replaces electrolytes. Sounds like you hit it on the head when you said "muscle exhaustion". Lack of potassium, among other things, causes muscle cramping/failure. If you're going to be doing steady long term work I'd make sure that you had a bottle or two handy at all times. If that isn't a viable solution for you you may want to look into potassium gluconate suppliments just to make sure dehydratoin isn't an issue.....

9. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Pace yourself!!!

Seriously, there are lots of single women here who work like heck to get their places set up, but I think we can only go gangbusters for so long. The first year, I 'bout killed myself building a chicken coop and putting up fence. Second year, I hurt my right elbow so bad I was practically crippled for 3-4 months. No sooner was my elbow better and I messed up my left shoulder. We have limits, whether male or female, so learn to listen to your body. Homesteading can still be fun, and we can still have great feelings of accomplishment.

10. Sparticle

I've just been drinking water, I should have also had some gator/powerade too. Thanks.

But on a side note - YAY!!!!! i've connected the paths. I chopped, pulled, dug, shoveled etc. The last 15 feet about killed me it was the thickest stuff you've ever seen. Then when I had most of the big stuff out of the way, I said "well, let's see what this ole tractors got" and just plowed through. Me making winced up "ouch" faces the whole time at every loud crunch hoping it would make it and going slow as I could with the blade as high as it would go. She made it! But to say her blades are bent is an understatement. I'm going to have to get them straightened back out and sharpened, but the blades had just about had it anyway and were slightly bent to begin with.

Now, I will rest and see if I have any food to eat. Hope you guys had a great Easter like I did. Didn't get to spend it with anyone but mother nature and she was great company.

Hope there are some good old movies on tonight.

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You really do learn to pace yourself. If you push too hard one day then you don't have anything left to give for the next day. Try and get through the exhaustion by will power alone and you'll end up with a knee joint that likes to pop out of it's track (it really, really hurts when that happens), and a back that will continually act up on you.

Some things that help me - gatorade (or power aid, or cytomax - there's all sorts of different brands that do the same thing) really does help.

What also helps is grazing on small snacks through the day instead of having lunch. I keep jerky, dried fruit, fresh fruit, cheese sticks, and homemade granola bars around for quick munching while I work. Food really is fuel and the harder you're working the more often you need to fill the tank.

12. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

A good stiff drink of Bahranian Whiskey and a long warm massage would do the trick. ;)

13. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

For sore muscles how about a nice hot bath, a cup of cammomile tea, a dose of liquid calcium/magnesium, and a good nights sleep on fresh sheets. You might try the portable snacks too.

Have you thought about taking photos to track the progress you are making? Best wishes to you in your efforts.
    Jodi

14. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

What I do is take a long, hot shower (when I'm ready to sit for the evening). When I get out of the shower, I put on my pajamas fast, so the warmth stays in my muscles, and run to the sofa, and get under a quilt to stay hot, and watch TV. Then, about 30 minutes later, I put Flexall 454 on the sore spots, and stay under the quilt. I stay completely covered up and warm from the shower till I run to bed. It really really helps those muscles. But don't put the Flexall on for at least 30 minutes after your shower, or it will burn. If you have a really sore part, Flexall during the day on it, and it really helps. My hands and arms will go to sleep at night. I try to sleep with my head higher, and on my back, so the blood runs down to my fingers.

Be sure to stoop straight down, don't twist when you're picking up stuff. Don't jump down from the tractor or whatever and jar your back, get down easy. Sit up straight when you wake up, in a hard chair, not a soft one, so you're back muscles wake up straight & right, not all hunched over.

I work really hard outside, shoveling, bending, firewood, wheelbarrows, etc. and after I eat lunch, I stretch out my back straight and rest my back for about 30 minutes, and let my food settle. I put an old blanket on the sofa, so I don't get the sofa dirty from my clothes. It really helps to rest your back, laying down, and letting all the weight off it for a bit.

If you go to bed cold, sore & stiff, you'll wake up much, much worse since all your muscles tightened up over the night.

15. Sparticle

This is all some EXCELLENT advise. I don't want to injure the most important equipment I've got for working outside - me! After I finished that last big chunk I did take it easy yesterday. I need to incorporate gatorade and snacky stuff while I'm out there. I've tried to be very careful about how i pick stuff up and even how I swing the axe. If I need to move something that will fit in the wheelbarrow I use it. Let the tractor run out of gas and even used the wheelbarrow to tote the gas can to the back.

I'm really going to take all this advice to heart, every bit of it. And Yes I've taken photos. Someone set up a web site for me and I have the pictures, I just don't know how to get the pictures on the website. I'll be working on that next. They set the website up for me to document all the damage the oil company did to my property, but I don't even care about that anymore. It's over and done with and the vegetation is growing back like a charm.

I'm having friends and family coming out to see the place this weekend. Friends for the first time, family for the 2nd time. It was just too dangerous in the back and too muddy in the front before and last time my family came out and I trekked them through the thick woods, the results were not so great. Nephew missed a week of school.

I'll let y'all know if I can figure out how to get those pictures posted. Going to read some HTML doc online next week (this week is going to be spent getting ready for company) and see if I can figure it out. I'm sure it's not that hard. I've got people I can ask too if I get stuck.

16. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Please be careful! I have fibromyalgia too, and a physical therapist told me that in her opinion, some of it was caused by repeated myofascial damage that I had done TO MYSELF! by working like you have been and never letting my body rest enough in between. I'm better now, but it has been two long years of illness and pain and not being able to do ANYTHING at all, and that was pretty awful.

Now when I start to hurt, or get so tired that I am not thinking clearly, or anything of that nature, I stop....even if I do have hours of daylight left. It's just not worth it. And I'm like you, I think, just have this real love affair with completion!

Take care and good luck!

hollym

17. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Tiger's Balm is good for sore muscles. So is MSM cream and lotion, it actually will help with the pain. I have a massager thing, will put muscle rub on my hands, feet, elbows, wherever it hurts, and then put a sock on the massager, and work it into the upset muscles. That and hotHOT showers put me back on my feet every time!

If you in pain all over you can soak in hot water, 1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and 1 cup of Epsom salts, but be ready to go to sleep afterwards, this really relaxes you.

hollym

18. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Vitamin C, a minimum of 500 mg late afternoon and same at bedtime, will really help with muscle pain. Each time you use those muscles when they hurt, you are tearing (for want of a better term) each of the muscle fibers. They need a day to heal and the Vit C really helps that. This is why exercise gurus tell you to start small and build up rather than just tough it out and go for the gusto. There is nothing to be gained from injuring oneself unneccesarily. Also, be sure to eat right and keep up with all the latest in supplements, etc. It's harder to injure a strong healthy body.

I wish I had just half your energy. There's no danger, ever, that I will injure myself; too danged lazy! :eek: :no:

19. Sparticle

Don't you wish supplements were so danged expensive? And they all seem to run out at the same time.

20. Sparticle