Competetiveness (showing)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Jul 18, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Up untill this year I wasn't interested in showing, we were going to give it a go last summer. However things did not fall into place, it simply got later. This year we are giving it a go. Now in the past I would be concerned with how I was going to do in the ring, I want to do well. Funny thing, aftering dealing with this a little, and seeing how ridiculous it can get, the must win part is gone. My new saying is "You can never loose, if you do not expect to win". Think about that, if you go into a ring to show, and you do not get 1st place, and remember that. The letdown won't be there, however the person who plans all year to win, goes in and looses. They will be ticked, saddened, and will get ****y (some do). What is also funny, is those who are serious about it, to the extent they have an attitude. For example, you could be in the same spot as them, and step in "their zone", and they would flip a lid (not outloud, but show it with body language). But you have to ask yourself, is that being insecure? Do they enjoy life as is? I question that because if people are to the point where they have an attitude, they must not be happy unless they are winning, but does that even make them happy? Now some would say "wait till you get the bug". Thing is, i've played sports where you loose. Played soccer when I was in middle school (3rd-6th). We lost games, heck in 6th we went undefeated. Yes the feeling is good, however I can't remember that much, so it wasn't a big deal.

What is funny with competition such as showing cows, is the fact it means nothing to that animal. They love it, because they get groomed, washed, they love the attention. Only the person overly cares. It's supposed to be fun, not miserable. Yet the person expecting to win, isn't having fun. Because their focus the entire show is 1st 1st 1st. Next week when the show is on, one thing im going to look for is how disapointed some get when they loose. You can tell the ones who want to win, from the ones who go for fun. I could understand if the winning check was worth $$$$$$, however if it's a simple ribbon or perhaps $27 + the ribbon, that isn't much to be excited about. I think one factor would be the fact that it's 1st in the judges eyes, and the judge's bias.

What I find funny about showing is the fitting part, when you make an animal look like you want it to be, it isn't looking like it should be. The way it should be, is you shave the animal at the same length head to hoof, to rump. Fluff the tail, clean the hooves. Make it look good (clean), and go for it. It would represent that animal better, than rigging the topline, etc etc.

But remember this "You can never loose, if you do not expect to win".

I know im not expecting to do well, if I do poorly I still win, and if I do well then good. The only way I loose, is if I did not go to the show and give it a go.

Jeff

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Jeff, I understand to a degree. We are competitive but not a big player in the big field. We want our animals to look impressive and that we mean business. Rarely would I stop and try to buy an animals from a string of people who do it for fun, when i can see the ready to go product in a topstring. AS almost alway money has corrupted things a little. WE make a large percentage of income on the sale of breeding stock, to help support all the families and fluculating milk price. Before is was sell heifers in large group as grade commecial cows. It seemed like every other year we sold almost all of these heifers in the 700 to 1000 category. Realizing all the wasted time money spent on good genetics, registrations, vaccinations and management this practice is practically gone except for the pukes. Instead we sell fancy heifer calves for 2-4000 as young heifers 3-9 months. People don't buy from us because of the high milk records, no they want their kid to win a blue ribbon usually. So yes we are competitive and play the game cause I sure as heck don't want to go work in a factory (or factory farm) Well got to run Today is county fair and the neices are going to kick some %^**. BUT this time it is personal. Time to show

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I can understand some of the reasoning behind winning, such as placing higher than someone you may not like. But the reason I am doing this is for a couple reasons, well next wed is a one day thing, so the one reason does not apply. However one reason does, and that reason is to get your name out there. Red Holsteins are starting to come back some, I may not place well (not expecting to), but it will be recognized that the farm has red genetics. This can help in the future, someone might hear the name, perhaps a few years I go to sell a RH, well it might be easier.

Most people who are known, got their name out there. Sure if you win a blue it helps, however being there, present at a show is just as good. Because someone will be watching. The tri-county (next wed) is to see whats out there, and to get your presence. But the other reason is to get off the farm for a bit. More or less the only worry is washing, cleaning, feeding, and showing. No hay to worry about. However there, at the fair you have a nice display of sorts. People will walk through, ask questions etc etc. I could get some buisness of some sort, etc.

But I dont care how well I do, if I get last or I get 1st. A ribbon to me is nylon, stuff. The money you get hardly breaks even. But out of the ring, in the field with doing hay. I can kick some serious grits. That is more important to me, because feed quality plays a major role :), I find it funny that the cows/heifers have tons of pasture and they chase me down with a bale of alfalfa, and the one person who I bought some heifers from said "the cows dont like the alfalfa, too stalky". Ours clean it, they might do well in the ring, but obviously they aren't the best in the field.

Oh and I cant find a damn person to show me how to do a topline, it seems people dont want to help because of competition, and the part of competition is sportsmanship, they exhibit NONE.

Jeff