Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cousins insists on placing his coffee on the dashboard when he drives. He refuses to use the cup holders. Not because they’re too small. “It’s not safe,” he tells me. This after literally dousing his wife last year during a hard turn, giving her second degree burns.

With his own eyes, my cousin has observed what happens when he doesn’t use the cup holders. But he won’t change his position.

And his wife still rides shotgun with him.

So there’s really two cases of willful stupidity at work here.

Another of my relatives brags about throwing trash on the side of the road. “It helps me find my way around,” he says.

One day I finally questioned him on this logic. He admitted that he’d never actually been able to tell the difference between his trash and what could’ve been someone else’s. So littering actually didn’t help him navigate.

A few weeks later, he was back to bragging. And I had to lock myself in the bathroom for ten minutes to silently scream.

https://jessicalexicus.medium.com/curing-willful-stupidity-in-america-99dcb28aad34

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
"Compartmentalization is not about being in denial; it’s about putting things where they belong and not letting them get in the way of the rest of your life". Quote from Psychology Today

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Y'all are way above me on this. I'll put it on my terms. Race horse or a trail horse. Each has their own path. I'm going to stick with the trail horse 🐎🐎🐎...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And what is your opinion of what you just posted, in your own words?
Honestly, the story didnt make much sense to me and did not illustrate compartmentalization very well. Can you convince me the story was somehow relevant to the concept?

Please forgive me if I add to my answer with yet another meme. They put the concept into words quite succinctly.

Deuteronomy 29:4 But to this day the Lord has not given you a mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear.

In my observation there is a threefold course that a person sets who refuses to become enlightened,

1. Confirmation Bias.

It is here that the individual only takes seriously information that is in direct agreement with their own prejudices, and preconceived notions.

2. Cognitive Dissonance.

When you wish to exist in your own personal la la land while dwelling in the real world you will encounter mental distress when the two worlds constantly collide.

In some, the desire to hold fast to their personal fantasy is so strong that they are in a constant state of mental anguish, yet for the life of them, they can't understand the reason for this imbalance.

When confronted with hard facts they immediately upon being left to themselves revert to their former way of thinking.

“A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still”― Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People
3. The Dunning Kruger Effect.

People who are the least capable think that they are the most capable. They are too clueless to realize just how clueless they truly are.

In all cases the problem is attitudinal rather than organic. People don't critically think because they are too arrogant to think as actual critical thinking leads to long looks into the soul.

And that would require courage, maturity, and turning off the T.V.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"Compartmentalization is not about being in denial; it’s about putting things where they belong and not letting them get in the way of the rest of your life". Quote from Psychology Today

In a healthy mind that is absolutely true.

In a damaged mind it is a defense mechanism against facing reality.

A damaged mind holds on to toxic beliefs and is constantly doing the mental equivalent of trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Please forgive me if I add to my answer with yet another meme. They put the concept into words quite succinctly.

Deuteronomy 29:4 But to this day the Lord has not given you a mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear.

In my observation there is a threefold course that a person sets who refuses to become enlightened,

1. Confirmation Bias.

It is here that the individual only takes seriously information that is in direct agreement with their own prejudices, and preconceived notions.

2. Cognitive Dissonance.

When you wish to exist in your own personal la la land while dwelling in the real world you will encounter mental distress when the two worlds constantly collide.

In some, the desire to hold fast to their personal fantasy is so strong that they are in a constant state of mental anguish, yet for the life of them, they can't understand the reason for this imbalance.

When confronted with hard facts they immediately upon being left to themselves revert to their former way of thinking.

3. The Dunning Kruger Effect.

People who are the least capable think that they are the most capable. They are too clueless to realize just how clueless they truly are.

In all cases the problem is attitudinal rather than organic. People don't critically think because they are too arrogant to think as actual critical thinking leads to long looks into the soul.

And that would require courage, maturity, and turning off the T.V.

View attachment 97453
These psychological mechanisms also serve a valuable purpose to us humans. For example, I had quite a problem with cognitive dissonance that was related to my smoking. My actions and the way I felt about smoking did not match up. I was deeply ashamed of my continuing to smoke despite my misgivings about smoking. I kicked myself for it, but I eventually quit.
Confirmation bias? We all experiemce it to an extent, it helps us as humans to find our "tribe" so to speak and to bond with others who are like-minded. But I think that you may be quick to pull the confirmation bias card when people don't automatically agree. Dunning Kruger Effect: Fake it till you make it. Some misplaced confidence can actually be a real asset at times. The ego part can get a bit annoying, but the mechanism does serve an inportant purpose.

I'm done dredging up my psych class material now... I hated that class, bunch of bs theories and speculation from people who have nothing better to do with their lives is what I REALLY think of psychology.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These psychological mechanisms also serve a valuable purpose to us humans. For example, I had quite a problem with cognitive dissonance that was related to my smoking. My actions and the way I felt about smoking did not match up. I was deeply ashamed of my continuing to smoke despite my misgivings about smoking. I kicked myself for it, but I eventually quit.
Confirmation bias? We all experiemce it to an extent, it helps us as humans to find our "tribe" so to speak and to bond with others who are like-minded. But I think that you may be quick to pull the confirmation bias card when people don't automatically agree. Dunning Kruger Effect: Fake it till you make it. Some misplaced confidence can actually be a real asset at times. The ego part can get a bit annoying, but the mechanism does serve an inportant purpose.

I'm done dredging up my psych class material now... I hated that class, bunch of bs theories and speculation from people who have nothing better to do with their lives is what I REALLY think of psychology.

We all have elements of each of the three psychological characteristics mentioned as the pull of wanting to have our cake and eat it too is part of being human and recognizing those characteristics can help us to transition from harmful thought processes to healthier ones.

My point is about those individuals who have jumped the traces and eschew all efforts to conform to what could be considered normal healthy standards.

In nearly every case, there are exceptions.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

We all have elements of each of the three psychological characteristics mentioned as the pull of wanting to have our cake and eat it too is part of being human and recognizing those characteristics can help us to transition from harmful thought processes to healthier ones.

My point is about those individuals who have jumped the traces and eschew all efforts to conform to what could be considered normal healthy standards.

In nearly every case, there are exceptions.
I'm much happier in life by not paying attention to the exceptions. Why bother trying to point it out? You can't fix stupid, lol and my time (or yours) can be much better spent doing ither things. I just take note of those exceptions, file it away in my mind, then ignore most everything they have to say.
That's why posting all the psychological memes is kinda pointless, you aren't changing the world or enlightening anyone by doing so. If you want to change these people, engage them in conversations, make them think, and think for yourself because you may also change your mind sometimes. This is the way of enlightenment.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm much happier in life by not paying attention to the exceptions. Why bother trying to point it out? You can't fix stupid, lol and my time (or yours) can be much better spent doing ither things. I just take note of those exceptions, file it away in my mind, then ignore most everything they have to say.
That's why posting all the psychological memes is kinda pointless, you aren't changing the world or enlightening anyone by doing so. If you want to change these people, engage them in conversations, make them think, and think for yourself because you may also change your mind sometimes. This is the way of enlightenment.
I'm of the "I've got to know," school of thoufgt so i have tried ti understand why willful ignorance is so prevalent.

I realize that what i say or do will probably have little or no influence on anyone, however, a defeatist attitude never positively contributes to societal improvement.

"You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take."-Wayne Gretzky

Reactions: Wanda

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I'm of the "I've got to know," school of thoufgt so i have tried ti understand why willful ignorance is so prevalent.

I realize that what i say or do will probably have little or no influence on anyone, however, a defeatist attitude never positively contributes to societal improvement.
So your surrounded by idiots too!?!?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts