Comparison....

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Kazahleenah, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Well, my Herfords are heading to butcher Thursday, and I have to say I like them better than the others I've raised... (Duroc, Yorkshire (my least favorite), Hampshire and several crosses)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Kazahleenah/100_1445.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Kazahleenah/100_1442.jpg

My opinion is that these Herfords were more mild mannered than all my others, have a nice finshed body (I'm a ham lover) and had a wonderful rate of gain.

What is all of your favorite breed(s)?

Kaza

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Kaza,
    You'll have to let us know how you like how they butcher out. I unexpectedly had to butcher one of my Hereford breeding gilts. She layed down in a bad spot and couldn't get back up. She got nerve damage on one side of her body as a result. I tried to reahabilitate her for a couple of days but it was hopeless. Anyways, I was very happy with the carcass quality. This was the first of our Herefords that we butchered. I don't know how much she weighed since we butchered her at home (with the help of some awesome neighbors), but the chops were a good size and there was lots of meat. I was amazed to see the huge slabs of bacon.

Heather

3. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

If you will dig into breeding records you will see that in the 30's and 40's durocs and herefords where shown together and considered as one breed "type" and even into the 50's purebred ducos could throw a white face and be purebred although not registerable.... now i don't know the origin of the registration bodys but the two have two be very similar.

4. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

kaza..those pigs look great.they have done very well for you.let us know how they butcher out.are you having the hams salt cured??? i hope to kill a deer and cure out a ham from them?i hope to raise one in the near future.

5. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Thanks everyone! Elkhound... I am leaning toward having the hams smoked actually... will decide when I fill ouot the magic "butcher sheet"... lol

Kaza