Company in the barn

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My BIL and his wife and kids are up from NC on leave from Marines and they came for supper last night.

( BTW I tried (begged) them to bring me some new blood for my girls, a buck from down there but they were not really seeing things my way...oh well maybe next year)

We had hotdogs on the grill, wild Maine strawberry cake, and goat milk ice cream. YUMMY!!!! They are rather "city-fied" so I told them if they tried the ice cream and they could taste goat I would pay them $100. Well a whole cake and 1/2 gal of ice cream is gone...all gone. Just like pigs those people. :haha:

So it got to be 730pm and its time to milk and feed the goats so I holler to the kids " Time to do chores". Away we go to the barn kids are dumping buckets and refilling....splitting flakes of hay into stalls while my 4yo shows the cities how to feed a bottle baby. Well there they are standing there wanting to help I said no need to help just watch. First up the ramp.. Cleo to be milked, followed by a dry doe and buckling that get grained upstairs while I milk Cleo.....they know their routine, the rest wait their turns patiently down stairs. Cleo and the dry doe go back down after Cleo is milked, then it is Brownie's turn and look she is at the door waiting...jumps right up on stand and away we go....Brownie is done now Miss Nutmeg is waiting at the door, one in one out...up on stand ,milked, back down....gather up my little buck who is over by the door waiting to go back down....almost done!
    Nutmeg is waiting by the door of her stall (she has twins nursing) and Cleo is at her door waiting to go in with her doeling Hope(bottlefed).

My SIL is standing in the barn mouth open..." Oh my God, how do you teach them to do that?" All I can say is routine and maybe lots of love ;)
    I was afraid she might swallow a bug standing there like that :p

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

don't you just love it when a plan comes together. :) I know your were bursting with pride at the behaviour of your goat children, Mine so rarely show off publically,

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Absolutely hilarious. My luck, my girls would have messed up the routine just to spite me in front of people. :haha:

4. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

You are lucky!! The last time I had company in my barn during chores I had to literally drag my girls up on the milking stand. Even after I finally got them on the milking stand they didn't want to be milked in front of strangers. Great Job!!