Companions for Pigs:

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rosy12, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Rosy12

Rosy12 New Member

Hello All,
    I have a pet farm pig, appx 9 months old, who is a very well trained and sweet animal. However due to life circumstances and shortened winter daylight hours I just haven't been able to spend much time with her. As a result she is getting very bored, arnry and destructive. Plus she's growing like crazy - I won't be able to outwrestle her for long :).

Anyway, I know she's lonely and I need a companion for her asap (or she's going to turn into christmas ham real soon.) I know another pig would be the best companion, but given aforementioned critters recent naughtiness that route would be impossible. Toys in the pen aren't cutting it.

She's housed in her own area during the days. Has free run of an acre yard in the evenings (usually - not with the recent trouble she's caused). I can get a hold of any critter. I'm leaning toward some ducks housed with her, a pygmy goat, or possible a small dog from the shelter. Any suggestions? how big of a danger is squishing - Ie big pig rolling over in night and accidentally killing companion? Will letting her get pregnant occupy her mind and settle her down a bit?

Just for the record. I'm not a novice, know to be careful introducing strange animals to each other, etc.. She was a great pet, I'm sure if I can just keep her distracted for a month or two - I can straighten her behavior out.

2. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

Also new to pigs, but I have seen pigs bite the head off of chickens, why not another pig?

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

She is turning into an old sow without babies. It may not help her sweet attitude but the best companion for her would be a handsome young boar. A pet pig is nicer than a pet hog, and she's not a pig anymore. Would you really eat her????

4. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

My pigs favorite friend was a miniature horse!!! They spent hours chasing each other every day. At first I thought that they were not getting along, but the more I watched the more it became clear that it was a friendly game of tag. Neither were ever injured nad the pig sure was lonely when the minis were moved. I felt sorry for him so I got a goat, they pretty much ignored each other. Then I felt sorry for the goat so I got another goat for the goat and another pig for the pig. I'm back to just the one pig that I started with. He seems pretty lonely and bored too........... Good luck!

5. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Sounds like she is just turning into a hog. I would be concerned over the safety of a small companion...might end up as her dinner! I think her days of being a pet are over and having a litter of pigs will most likely do the opposite of settling her down. She could easily become quite defensive/aggressive over her piglets. If you like pork, you could borrow a boar for a week and get a freezer full and sell the rest of the litter to pay for your sow's upkeep? That way, she will be a 'pet' for as long as you want her. Keep in mind that depending on her breed whe will only get bigger as she gets older. I have seen 'white' sows that were almost 8 feet from nose to rump and weighed over 700 pounds. Try wrestling that! LOL

6. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

Rosy my pig is a pet too, we may be outnumbered here!!! My barrow (thanks to Hog'emAll I know what to call him) was purchased as a pet, has always been a pet and will continue to be a pet!!! He has never become aggressive and still begs for attention. I am very careful when I am with him due to his size and tusks but I am not afraid that he will hurt me being mean. He has never been aggressive to any of the animals that have lived with him either, he rather seems to enjoy the company. So I say go for it if you want him to have a pal. Too bad we're not closer so we could set up a "play date" for them. I'm sure Rudy would love to meek a fine young lady even if he can't close the deal! :1pig:

7. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

She'll eat anything small unless you've trained her, possibly anything big if she thought she could get away with it. They are curious herd animals though and you should get her a friend if you can. I'm dealing with that issue in another way. I want to eat the big gilt's companion and I don't want her to be lonely 'till it's her day.

--usband O' G