Companion Planting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Oct 19, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Good time to brush up on some gardening book reading. The book "Sleeping with a Sunflower" isn't earthshattering, though it takes me back about 10 years when growing corn with squash successfully. The original Native North American's passed on methods like that. The "Three Sisters" they called it when eating corn, squash, and beans together. Also, eating either one of those is incomplete protein. When corn, squash, and beans are eaten together then the protein is nealy complete as in eating beef.
    It's interesting also a set of islands on a large lake nearby called "Three Sisters" and marks a good fishing hole. That area is well known by a Native Reserve population on that part of the lake...so that is sort of interesting. "Three Sisters" is a life giving designation in their beliefs.

That book by McKenzie and the author also wrote "Carrots Love Tomatoes" and "Roses love Garlic"...titles of books about the benefits and lore of companion planting. I'm all for it, as I've tried a lot of it in the past. Also can increase crop yields and use of garden space.
    Some examples of these are:

Sunflowers with climbing peas
    Kohl Rabi with beets (one roots underground and the k.rabi bulb above ground)
    Tomatoes with onions
    Tomatoes with carrots
    Asparagus with Tomatoes

What are some of your ideas, successes, or failures in companion planting?

Rich

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'd read that tomatoes and basil did well together, so I planted basil in with my tomatoes. Then since I had half a dozen more basil plants I put them in another spot by themselves. The ones by the tomatoes were much larger and had bigger leaves and more of them. But the big surprise came with the first frost. The basil plants next to the tomatoes bit the dust quite early with the first frost. The basil plants that were by themselves withstood several frosts before they froze.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Its kinda like comanion planting, I plant radish with carrots, its helps to mix seed together. When radish are pulled they leave area for the carrot to develop and aids in spacing/thinning.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I never plant two rows together and sometimes not even a row--just mix up the plants. That confuses the bugs and gives my plants a fighting chance. When you plant in rows, the bugs just jump from one to the other and soon the whole garden is lost.

I'm going to try three sisters again next year. I didn't get the beans in in time because of rain and then the corn did not have the nitrogen it needed.

5. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

well I always use companion planting in my veggie garden. The only veggie in my flower garden is my rhubarb.
    Lets see (brain smoking) :haha: ....
    Sucessfully grown tomatoes with...... carrots,beets, green peppers, and lettuce interplanted.
    Cabbage with...dill, and pickles.
    Cukes with squash, growing cukes on trellis.

I have tried corn and beans, but my timing was off my corn wasnt tall enough when beans sprouted. I no longer grow corn, being not enough return per square ft.

This last year I kind of did a sq. foot gardening/companion planting. Worked great other than my tomatoes were too close togother for my carrots and beets to mature. When I took them out due to blight then my beets and carrots grew fine.

I firmly believe in listening to indians on things related to Mother Earth, they have allot of knowledge!

Kathy

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted tomatillos one year and left the plants in the ground through the winter. The next year I moved my tomatoes to that box. Tomatillos came up everywhere. They both did super, but the most interesting thing is that I didn't have a single horn worm. I know the moth that lays the egg on the tomato leaf that becomes the horn worm is nocturnal. I don't know whether she doesn't like tomatillos or if she can't find the tomatoes when the tomatillos surround them. I have had mixed luck getting tomatillos to grow since then, but every time I do I have no horn worms.

7. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

I found planting Marigolds throughout the garden has helped keep everything away from my tomatoes etc. Also, surrounding some tomatoes with pepper plants allowed them to survive & not be eaten by Deer!!

I surrounded my patio (there are 2 'garden' sides) with a bunch of different Basils & Marigolds & Nasturtiums.....we practically lived on our patio all summer & never had 1 mosquito!! Plus the 2 plants listed above grew like trees!! :D