companion planting....Whoops!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 1, 2005.

1. Yesterday I planted 2 rows of green peas with the first row next to my row of green onions. Then last night I was probing around on this computer and ran across a thread about companion planting and it said to not plant your green peas next to your onions. :eek: So what will happen if I leave it that way? I just planted my onion sets the day before. I could pull them up and replant them although I don't have the rest of the garden ready to plant yet. Will it make that much difference? My rows are about 30 inches apart.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I know that onions like poppies. I hate wasting space, so I sprinkled poppy seeds over the onion starts, one year, and the ones that had poppies over them grew the biggest!!!

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

No problem. At 30 inches between the rows, they are barely in the same neighborhood! The problem would come only if they were planted virtually together in the same row. Then the peas and onions would be competing for the same nutrients. Even then, it would be no disaster other than reduced harvest from both.

Martin

4. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

r.h. in okla.....Don't sweat it! They'll be just fine....companion planting has lots of merit, but it doesn't mean you can't grow plants without it! They'll do just fine. I've grown onions and peas together before....and it's an easy thing to do because the planting times are similar....life goes on.....kathrynlmv