Companion Planting questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rwinsouthla, Apr 11, 2006.

1. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Roma tomatoes amongst the rosemary and basil. Those seem to taste like seasoned tomatoes when I get them in.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I can taste them now.

2. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I like to know what likes what and what doesn't go together--like a lot of things do not like beans (pole) or potatoes. I was just reading that planting lettuce or beets around garlic helps keep the roots cool.

I plan on planting some popcorn and/or sunflowers with vining peas and maybe some cucumbers this year. Last year we grew corn with our pumpkins and gourds--sure was neat, the corn was about 12 feet tall with gourds all the way up!

I like to plant in 4 x 4 plots, and in the center of each I plant a nasturtium (bug deterrent) and by the time the crop is done the nasturtium is taking over the plot. In the fall my garden is as green and pretty as in the summer!

Other bug deterrents that I plant are marigolds and basil (around the tomatoes). This year I might try something to deter the cabbage moths more (hyssop, wormwood, thyme or sage).

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have charts of companion plants posted in my potting shed. You can find lots of them by searching "companion planting" online.