Companion animal

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sassy_mare, Oct 27, 2005.

1. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

I've got 2 horses and my mare gets extremely upset when I take the gelding out for riding. I was thinking about getting a sheep/goat as a companion. Here are my concerns:

I have 3-strand electrobraid fencing and woven wire perimeter along the road (only 1 side of property).

I only have 2 stalls so the sheep would have to share w/ horse on the cold winter nights (not stalled all the time)

I have no sheep/goat experience - is there any diseases that can be passed back and forth?

My significant will KILL me if he ever finds goat prints on his truck!

What can you tell me about keeping these critters as companions?

Thanks!
    Sheri

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

You can always look up all the newbie threads and get a LOT of answers. I do not know if a goat would make a good compainion for a horse, I would think htat they would get scared. I have heard of people using Lamas as caompanion animals for horses, and things worked out just fine. Well gotta go, bye.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I have heard that goats can make good companions for horses. I think it depends on the temperment of the horse for the most part. In that relationship the goat will certainly get the worst part of the bargain if the horse doesn't take a fancy to it. I would make sure the goat has an area where it can get away from the horse if it needs to and introduce them slowly. You say you have good fencing on 1 side....whats on the other sides??? Goats are escape artists and must have good fence or they WILL get out and leave cute little hoof marks on your significants truck. I do not think there are any diseases that can be passed from caprine to equine or equine to caprine. But you would want to buy a healthy goat anyway. Goats need good pasture or browse and good clean hay. I think for a companion, a wether would be your best bet. The most important part is the temperment of the horse, horses can easily kill a goat if they don't like it. Make sure they are compatible before leaving them together, and be sure the goat has a space it can get into and the horse cannot.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Bad news:
    The horse still will miss its horse companion. Goats don't subsitute for thier equine friends...I would bet a goat and horse would bond closer if their was not another horse then they would be stcuk with one another. Even then, there are no promises, but all my horses have liked goats but to varying degrees.
    Goats are very squirrely about fences....you'll be chasing a goat if your fence isn't like Alcatraz. Take it from me, they are FAST.
    I am afraid about the stall-sharing thing becasue they do like thier own space. The horses always do win, so I agree with the other author who said there must be a place for peace for the goat. I do have a feeling that it would be better for the goat if it would have a goat pal, but then they will ignore the hroses, in my expereince, and that would defeat your orginal purpose.

I hate to discourage you from goats becasue I love my horses and goats, and they all do have so much to offer.

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

We had a horse and his best buddy was goat.. They picked each other. They were so cute. Our goats stay in hot wire. Our sheep with all that wool go right threw.

Liz
    Teacup Farm

6. JAM

JAM Well-Known Member

We have two horses 12 goats and 1 llama. They all get along great together. The goats will actually stand under the horses if it starts to rain. We only had a problem with one goat that liked to eat the horses tail.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If you get a companion I would highly recommend a wether. No heat cycles to go through, no smell like a buck. Wethers make the best pet companions and they're generally cheaper than does or bucks. If you do get a goat make sure it's up to date on tetanus shot, as tetanus likes to breed in horse manure.