Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new here and I need some help:)

We have built a home in a sustainable community on a lake in Oklahoma. There are five families here. They are all Torah observant.

Where can I post to see if there are any others here on this forum site that are looking to be a part of community by buying their own homestead?

The homestead up for grabs is 5.5 acres with a passive solar designed home. It does not have solar power, it has city power, but the design itself is passive solar;). It has well water, 3 beds, two bath, large open floor plan. Huge kitchen, with tons of cabinets. AC that cools home with fans, but duct work is ready to be run if wanted. Wood stove heat, but the AC unit has the ability to host a heating element. The pasture is fenced for rotational grazing. Two ponds. Two barns. One large well house/barn. 2 inch line with spigots run all over property for eventual gravity fed water. Fed by well water now. Large gravel turn around. Gravel road in. No septic in, but it is plumbed in slab if that is wanted. Propane tank with propane cooking and propane hot water heater.

This is an AMAZING community. These people here are salt of the earth. We all help each other any time we need a "barn raising" which can also be translated as "chasing heifers" or "chasing sheep" lol. We all help each other whenever it is needed.

This is a community based on keeping the commandments of God as well. So anyone wanting to purchase the homestead/land & home will want to be doing so.

As I said I am new here and am happy to go put this post somewhere else, but I could not find a way to make a new thread.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,719 Posts
what does it mean that I need three posts to add links to my posts?
That helps to weed out SPAM from people who are only posting because they want to sell something. It doesn't always work though.

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
If you scroll down further you will find a Real Estate Forum where this should go.
Contact a mod to move your post.

If you want to be part of our on-line community - Welcome. It's interesting, I assure you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why did the previous occupant, and or owner, leave? You're two questions behind, plus this one.
1. Grey water goes to ditches that flows to ponds that flows to lake. We all use grey water safe things for laundry, dishes, etc.
2. I am the previous occupant. We own a construction company that needs to build an office in town, and we now have four girls. We previously had two. We have out grown the home and instead of adding on, we need to move to a different piece of land closer to town where we can keep our heavy equipment. Hauling them out here isn't sustainable. So we are renting land right now. We are looking to combine that need with a home closer to town for resources for the girls' homeschool as they are now beginning to be school age. We live at least an hour from museums, zoos, etc.
3. Black water is non existent. We have used composting toilet/earth closet.

·
Premium Member
25,070 Posts
What part of Okla are you at? Im tween Nowata, Chelsea, and Oologah, and while Im a believer, Im likely not as much so as you seem to be. Good luck.
You say this commune is sustainable. Could you explain that?
What size are these (barns).
What do you mean by (house/barn)
What would it cost a prospect to move to this shangrala?
Answering these questions might help some reader become interested in becoming a prospect.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Just for the record, on this particular forum many people are extremely independent types, and do not wish to live in a controlling community with shared resources. we - er I mean they - would feel very oppressed and controlled by the structure of the community telling them what to do. Many of the homesteaders on here moved out to the country to get away from that, and feel some freedom.

And so, questions about community living typically get rather lively, and perhaps off track in a hurry!

There is nothing at all wrong, and glad it's a place that has worked out for the original poster. There are often people come around here asking about communal living, and this is a good place to bring the topic up.

Just hope, if the original poster starts seeming some 'different thinking' on the topic they aren't put off, or some such. There can be so many different opinions on such things, and all are just fine by many of us. Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoy discussing this topic, but that won't be helpful to the original question. :)

Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just for the record, on this particular forum many people are extremely independent types, and do not wish to live in a controlling community with shared resources. we - er I mean they - would feel very oppressed and controlled by the structure of the community telling them what to do. Many of the homesteaders on here moved out to the country to get away from that, and feel some freedom.

And so, questions about community living typically get rather lively, and perhaps off track in a hurry!

There is nothing at all wrong, and glad it's a place that has worked out for the original poster. There are often people come around here asking about communal living, and this is a good place to bring the topic up.

Just hope, if the original poster starts seeming some 'different thinking' on the topic they aren't put off, or some such. There can be so many different opinions on such things, and all are just fine by many of us. Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoy discussing this topic, but that won't be helpful to the original question. :)

Paul
Hey Paul so just a couple things that I'll bullet out for this thread on the communal living:
1. This community is not communal. Lol. I know that sounds funny but it's true. Everyone has their own well, their own electricity. Some do solar, some do city power. Everyone owns their own land. No one here tells anyone what they are and are not allowed to do, except when it comes to health things. I.e. earth closets and what not must be safe for all those who have water running off must make sure of that LOL! But no one ever has to rule over another, since everyone here keeps the commandments of God, it kind of takes care of itself ;)
2. There are no shared resources. No one controls anyone. The structure of our "community" is "intentional neighbors" who are like minded. That like minded pertains to homesteading, producing food, living by principles that are good for everyone and not just themselves, etc. That's it. As far as "governing" everyone governs themselves under the principles found in the Bible. That's it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What part of Okla are you at? Im tween Nowata, Chelsea, and Oologah, and while Im a believer, Im likely not as much so as you seem to be. Good luck.
You say this commune is sustainable. Could you explain that?
What size are these (barns).
What do you mean by (house/barn)
What would it cost a prospect to move to this shangrala?
Answering these questions might help some reader become interested in becoming a prospect.
Wow really!? So cool! We are within miles of Winganon Bait shop! Sustainability was the goal. It is a work in progress. Solar in the works for some, and others have gravity fed water instead of pressure tanks. Little things like that. We also all try to grow our own food on our own land. No one has joint gardens or anything.

What it would cost to move here is buying whatever you can find near it. Right now, only our parcel with our home is up for grabs. We have to have someone come out who can appraise it to know the cost! The animal barns are about 10 by 18 and 8 by 20. The well house is 10/12 by 20. Our home, which is built out inside of a pole barn, but still needs some finishing touches like window and floor trim and great room painted is 1200 sq ft.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts