community, pot growing, and bullets whizzing by

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Nov 6, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, I don't read or comment on Homesteaders as a rule but I have a lot of respect for all of you for wanting to grow your own food and get back to the land. That's why I am writing this comment. I have the same ideas as you as to a good quality of life and being self sustaining. SueCurrin is my partner, and while out in the woods the other day, we found buckets from pot growing and someone was target practicing, close enough that we were
    concerned for our dogs and ourselves. I think the problem in the comments is lack of understanding, and rather than ask a question, solutions came pouring in. The culture up here in Maine is so different than anything I have ever experienced , it has been as adjustment to me. To start with, most people are very kind and helpful. The cold and weather conditions in the winter are such that you have to get along with your neighbors for survival sometimes. The person who grew the pot on our land may have been doing it for years and not be aware there are new owners. The former owner was here on rare occasions to hunt. Picture this. I have run off the side of the road at night , it's 10 below and I don't have a cell phone. What if my neighbor who grows pot or target practices drives by, I need that person. That person needs me to clear up a misundertanding rather than make it worse. Sue has dyslexia, is a gifted writer despite poor spelling and helps everyone she knows if they need help. Other people treat her the same way usually. Living in community is the only way to live. I feel blessed to live in an area with other like minded people. So, I see the controversy as cultral differences, not personal. It is hard to imagine going out your back door into woods so vast you can get lost in a heartbeat. Quite different from looking out the front door and seeing 12 houses. Forgive my wordiness, but I am wordy. Martha

currin, my pardner recently wrote of a problem we are having of pot growers on our land as well as target practicing out in the woods by someone

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Try to understand where the other members of the site were coming from when they responded to Sue's post. Some of the details evolved over the course of the discussion, as often happens here. The members gave the best and, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, correct advice they could given the parameters of the discussion as defined by Sue. When they sensed that the story was changing, or that perhaps she was aware of the pot operation before she bought the property, they were both concerned and a little miffed that that was the case. That was a reasonable reaction, and Sue shouldn't take it personally, as the same reaction would have been had regardless of the member.

No one wants to ---- off their neighbors, regardless of where they live; however, Sue is risking a lot by remaining silent about the pot for the sake of niceties. I'll tell you right now that her best and only recourse is to make it abundantly clear to the local authorities that she knows it's there and she wants it gone. She needs to make sure she's on record with the sherriff/statie/or town cop in her jurisdiction.

So, I understand where you're coming from, respect your desire to stick up for Sue, and I'll say that she should go back and read the responses she received, because they were solid in their advice, if lacking in couth.

3. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you need a man around the house.

Pete

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Good grief, Pete. :bash: :eek: :( :grit: :hand:

ROFL at the idea that testosterone would fix the situation. :D

5. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hey Redneck Pete(r)

not everyone wants or needs one! Hee hee !!

ha ha!
    (ps I love having hubby around, he's a keeper, but a man isn't always the answer)

good luck with your dilemma, sue & martha.
    Sherry

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I hope you didnt take my posts as a slam... I was just reading it and understanding it as posted....
    you bought land you knew was under cultivation... yes or no?

I'll stick to yes/no questions untill I see a beter picture.

7. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Really? ROTFL all you like.

Sue and Martha, two “partners” are quaking inside their presumably shared home while unknown individuals steal guns from their trucks, grow pot on their land and carelessly “target shoot” when they happen to stumble across the grow-op.

Trust me, if Sue and Martha were instead Sue and Bill, with Bill preferable being a 250 lb shotgun wielding testosterone junkie, Sue would not be quaking inside her house at night.

Pete

8. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

When people talk, or write in this case, they are telling you about themselves.

Some you like, some you don't.

Some advice/opinions you like, some you don't.

Take what you like, leave the rest.

I used to go to meetings where I was grateful to get one sentence I could use in my life out of an hour's worth of talk.

Today, I'd rather watch that brazen coyote that just walked across my pasture thumbing it's nose at my sleeping dogs....

9. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Sue and Martha,

I have been reading this post with interest. In a gentler way, I agree with Redneck Pete and others. You are really being taken advantage of and being victims, in my opinion. While the events of someone stealing a gun from your truck and someone planting pot on your land may not be related, and 'bullets whizzing by', it suggests that you don't care what people do on your land. If you want to allow people on your land, that's one thing, but you need to stand up for yourself and your rules. That's not alienating any decent neighbor, that's just saying what you want done on your property that YOU own.

If you want to tolerate people growing pot on your land, than you need to take responsibility for the consequences, which include the possibility of jail time.

If you want to let people steal things out of your truck, with you not reporting it to the law, then you leave yourself open to the possibility that they will come back to steal more, since there are no adverse consequences to their actions.

If you want to let hunters aim guns in your general direction for target practicing, then you leave yourself open to the possibility of them hitting your house or your animals or you. There is nothing wrong with calling the neighbors and saying 'hey! we live here now, point the guns in the other direction!'. Bring them some apple butter or something, you are not being mean, just stating a fact.

just my thoughts,

10. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

What if the Drug Task Force find the pot on your land and confiscates all your property?Do you think your neighbors will confess that it is theirs?What if the person kills someone with your gun do you think they will come forth with the truth?Do you think your neighbors will come get you out of jail?

Tambo

11. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Amen to ellebeaux.

Sounds like you guys need to find more options - like using walkie-talkies. Some today, are usable over 10 miles.

It's elk hunting season here - right behind my house. I have elk all over my property. I've hung wind bells around so hunters know there's a house near by. My dogs, especially my wolf-dog, wear bright orange collars (ugh) and I'm thinking of putting little cow bells on them too. Thank heavens my horses have their donkey. What a great noisy, watch animal. If they didn't, I'd probably braid orange ribbon in their manes and tails during hunting season. Maybe they'd wear bells too.

All I'm saying is: Get creative!!!!

Don't be victims of your brains. BE proactive.

You can "what if" all you want (that's kinda like whinning). If you two can't figure out at least two options to every "what if", (always need a back up plan) it ain't gonna work.

You can do it!! Let's hear about what you've done...

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Pete, my response was due to the fact that these two ladies have made a decision to be homesteaders. In my opinion, part of the process is learning to take care of their own problems. Adding a male with a weapon just isn't my first choice, but, hey, it could work for some folks. :goodjob:

Maybe they could take firearms classes, karate lessons, etc. I don't know what solution they will find, but it should include their own personal growth. :)

My own personal homestead male would mess up an anvil, given half a chance. It's very frustrating, and my experience influenced my response. :nerd:

13. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

my guess is pete,s never met a gal with pms! or my wife anytime!! not a gal to mess with. tresspassers of this sort should make anyone be wary,the fact that the police are not helpful is not encouaging.tree poachers can be fought with foul smelling products that smell little in the outdoors but really smell when brought indoors. hope things work out.

14. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

Gee, Pete, I'm a few dozen pounds short of 250, and right now I don't own a shotgun, but I do own a few dozen other high power firearms. Strange, but we just don't have those problems around here. Of course that could be because my petite blonde wife has her own set of firearms, and a CCW permit. I taught her to aim at the 'zipper' and pull the trigger of her S&W 642 Centennial Airweight .38 until the revolver goes 'click', then apply the speed loader and start over. If she drops the speed loader, then she goes for her .32ACP Beretta backup.

Strange, but between me plinking with the M1 Garand Tanker, Mini14, and Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, and the wife eroding FBI targets at the crotch level, we just haven't had any problem with dopers on our property. LOL....

15. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

yes you do you said so in gross detail in other threads about the crime in your area and poachers and robbers and trespassers.

pick a story and stick to it already.

if you had any brains youd have taught her to aim center mass.
    you aint got no crime but your wife is a 2x packer....

[​IMG]

16. Motordawg

Motordawg Member

Well..Stan IS taller then his wife, and that isn't saying much. How tall are you again Stan, 5'5"? That could account for the low aim point.

As for the rest of his pontification, depending on his mood for the day, his posts will either glamorize himself, or himself through a third party. Truth be told, Stan is the ONE MAN ARMY OF HIS COUNTY.

Notice the standard Black Ninja sweat pants (tucked into his boots, ala tactical style), black Ninja t-shirt, Scientist/Safari straw hat, and his beloved Ruger revolver. Those are some really pudgy fingers wrapped around that can of Coke. Damn Stan..you have really put on weight since you quit smoking..geez..

Stan, for a man of your wealth..you need to take better care of yourself.

Does this munchkin strike fear in your heart or what? POACHERS BEWARE!

[​IMG]

17. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Yikes! These ladies are in a heap o' trouble already without admitting flat out that they knew it was going on! You're really pushing for them to lose their house?

Ladies, you have the right to remain silent (I for one would recommend it), you have the right to an attorney (I for one would recommend it), if I watched TV more I'd know your other rights but I don't watch TV. I'd suggest you get that stuff off your land ASAP! Burn it, trash it, whatever. The courts don't care if you didn't know you were guilty by association. Now you do know for sure. This is a PUBLIC forum. :eek:

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Where I live in the country the philosophy is "live and let live". Wear some orange when you are in the woods and people are target shooting so they know you are there - even if it isn't deer season.

As for the pot. Let them be. The cops know who the pot growers are and who the pot growers aren't. THey aren't going to arrest YOU. If you are that concerned about it. POst some "no trespassing" signs and put something in the local paper about you being the new owners. Get to know folks and let your feelings be known. Most likely the pot growers (and target shooters), will leave you alone.

If worst comes to worst, just go talk to them. Don't bring the law into it unless you ABSOLUTELY have to because it will only cause hard feelings and you will risk retaliation or not having that "helping hand" when you need it. People around know who the good folks are and who the bad folks are and who to watch out for and not cross. Just play nice and by the rules and you will be fine.

donsgal

19. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Dear Pete, a testosteroned dude has NOTHING on a menopasal woman who's got a gun! Remember the saying,"Warning! I'm out of estrogen and I've got a gun!" ? Well, it wasn't a joke, it's true.

20. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Put a HUGE (10' X 10") sign up on your property line that says.... "Will the people who are growing POT on my land, please remove it by December 1, 2005, or I will have no choice but to notify the sherrif". Thank you.

donsgal