Community giving away 1-2 acre homesteads on a river in the Alaska wilderness

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by bogtrotter, Mar 15, 2017.

1. bogtrotter

bogtrotter Active Member

Yes we are crazy because we want to live a self sufficient life in the natural world with other people.

2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Sooo, what do you say folks?...... Is this the guy to plan your future with?
    Much was revealed.........

ShannonR likes this.

3. bogtrotter

bogtrotter Active Member

I agree. That is why one would have to be thorough and check out what we are about before deciding to take the leap. We live very spartanly here and expecting us to come up with reimbursement for every person who does not fit would break the community in no time.

Mickie3 likes this.
  4. bogtrotter

bogtrotter Active Member

O
    No, Hunter is not the guy for our future.

hunter63, Mickie3 and ed/La like this.
  5. SSRD

SSRD Member

Like a marriage as you say i would need
    Prenup. You willing to compensate me for up to a year of my investments should you decide to run me off?

ShannonR likes this.
  6. SSRD

SSRD Member

Its fine that we "check each other out" to test compatibility but should it not work out i should still be compensated for my investments. You think not?

7. SSRD

SSRD Member

No. You should compensate someone for their investments into the community should you kick them out. If you think not then please state why.

8. bogtrotter

bogtrotter Active Member

What investment in the community? Helping net fish, process moose, or pick berries for yourself is an investment? Sure they would have to spend money getting here, but the community does not benefit from that. Even a cabin left behind would not benefit the community but rather the next person to arrive needing shelter.
    Thank you for the questions everyone. It helps me understand other folks' concerns.

no really, ed/La and Mickie3 like this.
  9. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

If you use them for a year and then kick them out, yes, they should be reimbursed for their time and labor of building YOUR community.

I understand what you want to do, but look at it this way, would you take this same offer from someone else?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    ShannonR likes this.
  10. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Got the straight......LOL.

melli and ShannonR like this.
  11. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

First, how do we know you arent the total psychopath? For all we know, u could have bodies piled up all over the place....
    Second, this sort of arangement will only attract people who are running from something, or hiding from something for the most part. You are in essence inviting criminals in with your offer.

Lasy, why did you move to the middle of nowhere to begin with? Was it to get away from the same people you are now inviting in...?

melli and hunter63 like this.
  12. bogtrotter

bogtrotter Active Member

And what if they have done nothing but cause trouble?

Mickie3 likes this.
  13. SSRD

SSRD Member

Thats why you reserve the right to send em away. Still doesn't mean they shouldn't be compensated for their labor while there in building what you get to keep.

14. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

What if the community decides you're the troublemaker, will you accept them kicking you out?

ShannonR likes this.
  15. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

This is a pseudo coop, with a 50yr land-lease. Both of which I deplore. Nosy neighbors and the ground under my feet a lease. I suspect they might get the odd sucker, one who is oblivious, or one who actually enjoys politicking in a commune. Almost like an episode of survivor.
    I can imagine they get head cases. Surprised they get lazy types, given they are out in the bush.

To get real interest, they ought to have a clause, like the lease converts to freehold after X number of years of continually living there. Make it long enough so you don't get folks thinking they can score a free piece of land in a year or two, but not too long it discourages bona fide homesteaders. I know what it takes to take a raw piece of land and turn it into something viable, and I had easy access to gas/diesel and was able to bring in heavy equipment.
    And the other reality, is one has to have shelter from the get-go, as the bugs up there will eat you by lunch or have you running home to momma by supper.

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Sorry, but I don't want to live that close to my neighbors.

Mickie3 and melli like this.
  17. akhomesteader

akhomesteader Well-Known Member

I have considered doing something like this on my property in the bush, only I would probably offer a few acres to only one family rather than have so many small parcels with numerous families. My tentative plan was to give the land (not lease it) to a family after a few years if it all worked out, something like melli suggested. Before they would even move there, we'd spend time getting to know each other, and they would have to come for a good long visit. It takes time to truly get to know someone, and out in the bush, a horrid neighbor can make life impossible. It was great to be that isolated when my husband was alive, but it's tough to be a single mom in the bush alone. Over the years, I've had an unbelievable number of people contact me saying that they could sell everything they own, move to Alaska, buy land and build a cabin, but then they'd be broke and have to live in town to make a living. Kind of a catch-22 for many folks. Bogtrotter's idea would be pretty good for folks in that situation. My initial thought when I read his first post was full of skepticism. I thought he just wanted folks to come out, improve his land, and then kick them out. It really doesn't sound like that to me. Having a few good neighbors (although not that close) isn't too bad. Sometimes the benefits outweigh the negatives in that it would be possible to share some expenses or have someone to take care of your animals or garden when you must be away, and neighbors can help in times of need. I love the solitude of bush life, but bogtrotters idea sounds great for the right folks. Certainly not for everyone. If you have the ability to make it completely on your own in the bush, or if you have the money to buy the remote land, have a cabin built or buy land with a cabin on it, and live according to your standards, then this wouldn't be for you.

Situations like this do tend to attract psychos and people that many homesteader types would consider "undesirable" neighbors. I tried for awhile to find someone to come out and finish the cabin my husband and I started before he died. Too many crazies for me to wade through, so I finally gave up on that idea after awhile. I may try it again sometime.

18. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

As Long as the probation period is clearly explained then prospects should realize that they should not invest heavily in the first year.
    If it was me I would expect to work hard in the community and live either in a small cabin or a tent for the first year, perhaps some type of prefab or movable cabin. I would expect my other laborers just simply be part of the cost of joining the community.
    With that in mind it seems extremely fair to all.
    In fact I have advocated that the state of Alaska make a similar program available

Mickie3, FarmerRuss and akhomesteader like this.