Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fledgling community is giving away 1-2 acre homesteads, and the lumber or logs to build a cabin, on a wild river in the Alaska wilderness. There are no building codes or restrictions here.
If you have seen "The Last Alaskans", you know how we live.
Why are we giving away land? Living in the bush is difficult and often lonely for individuals or even couples. Good, helpful neighbors make life here safer, easier, and more congenial for us all.
What you will need:
1) An airline ticket to get to our nearest village (60 miles away by river) We can pick you up there, and your
supplies, by boat.
2) Have enough money to buy supplies and food to survive one year, or a way to make sufficient income on the internet.
3) Homesteading skills, survival skills, and health to make it through a hard winter.
Couples are especially welcome.
For further information please see our website at roundrivercommunity.org

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
What are the employment opportunities in the village?
Who is giving away the "homesteads"?

If someone(s) shows up with supplies and money for a year....builds a cabin/homestead....then runs out of money?
What happens?.....
Do you get kicked out?....or do you still own the "homestead".

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I not interested either.....
What is the upside....For me?

Show up, bring money, labor, build something you don't own. with no way to support "your homestead"...
So you tap out....next "batch show's up"....same thing?

I do not see anything that I would be interested in a set up like this...

Actually these posting usually start out with a "Looking for like minded people......"

Good luck with that.

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
I not interested either.....
What is the upside....For me?

Show up, bring money, labor, build something you don't own. with no way to support "your homestead"...
So you tap out....next "batch show's up"....same thing?

I do not see anything that I would be interested in a set up like this...

Actually these posting usually start out with a "Looking for like minded people......"

Good luck with that.
My thoughts exactly!! Most homestead type people value their independence too much to join in on a venture like this.

Another thought: even if you like leasing the land (50 year renewable lease) and all is hunky dory, what happens when the owner of the 80-acre parcel dies? You're probably left out in the cold.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What are the employment opportunities in the village?
Who is giving away the "homesteads"?

If someone(s) shows up with supplies and money for a year....builds a cabin/homestead....then runs out of money?
What happens?.....
Do you get kicked out?....or do you still own the "homestead".
There is full employment in the village, especially for carpenters, mechanics, wood cutters, and folks who can repair stuff. I have lived here for eighteen years and never worried about finding work. I am now retired.
If one runs out of money one can leave for a period of up to a year and a half and still retain the lease. After that the lease falls back to the community.
These are fifty year leases that can be extended to family members after the lease expires. The lease stays with the community, not the owner (me), so that when the owner dies the lease remains.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The work done on one's lease is all for one's own benefit. The rest of the work, such as maintenance of sawmill, boats, snowmachines, tools, and moose and salmon processing is for the benefit of the entire community.

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
How many leases do you offer? How many leases are filled, vs how many there are? What is the turnover rate on your leases, as in abandonment rate?
What do you export, or do to bring money into the community? Besides said leases, that is.
What about crime? Emergency services offered? Medical care?

What do you bring to the table, as far as this community goes?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
So, you are not giving property away. You are allowing improvement, in the leassors eyes, to your property.

It's good the initial bait and switch was exposed. I wonder just what else you have in store for the gullible.

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
Read the entire website, but I still had a bunch of questions. Seems this community is comprised of 4 people at the last update of the website.

Website is very well put together though!!

I don't understand the $160per month for internet service...?? Is this for service everyone in the community uses or for one individual who gets their own equipment and password, ect? My initial impression was that this $160 was what one individual pays for a month of internet service which leads me to believe this person would be paying for everyone's internet access.

Edit: I checked and it's satellite internet which goes quite a ways toward explaining the cost. I don't know if that's the whole story here but in the OP's defense, sat service is mucho expensive!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
If one runs out of money one can leave for a period of up to a year and a half and still retain the lease. After that the lease falls back to the community.
These are fifty year leases that can be extended to family members after the lease expires. The lease stays with the community, not the owner (me), so that when the owner dies the lease remains.
So you are leasing these..... not giving them away.....So I can't sell mine......
No amount of time spent... does the ownership does not belong to me?

Reactions: mnn2501

·
Super Moderator
16,455 Posts
Kansas has done something similar. Basically, the locals out here want larger, healthier communities.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Seems like a good deal to me for the right couple. Would help if you had a monthly income so money would be a minor issue. If you had internet business $160 would be doable. 50 year lease, no problem> I do not have 50 years left. I wonder if there is any gold in the rivers and creeks. Perhaps trapping is legal. Good hunting and fishing and I think Alaskan residents get some type of small check yearly. Gas sound like expensive problem. Hauling fuel 60 miles on a regular basis by boat or snow machine sounds like torture. I would not want to do a 60 mile boat ride one way with out a back up out board.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts