Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expanding my sheep herd. Around here most people keep Arrcot and Dorsets for ewes. I am interested in getting all the good qualities. Year round breeding ability, good twinning, and good mothers. I have been researching other breeds such as North Country Cheviots, and Romonov.
Any opinions from people who know these breeds or others?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
The Romanov claim to fame is proificay, they're not much different than the Arcotts in this regard. My vet had some, that were pretty good looking animals. NCC's are more apt to throw singles but are excellent rough country animals. Trouble is in a cross breed thier genetics really do prodominate. I had them in my flock and except for a couple of examples I'm culling them out. I don't need thier super toughness, and they have a wild flighty side that makes them very difficult to manage. I switched Dorset for Polypay with my Rideaus. Just plain better genetics over average Dorsets. Your best money is spent on the best rams, breed not being overly important.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
How about Finn/Dorsets?
NCC do not breed out of season.
If you plan to gain any income off your wool clip, Romanovs will ruin it -even just 1/4 Romanov puts lots of kemp and black fiber in the wool.
If you don't have an interest in wool quality - then how about Katahdins? They are hardy, fairly prolific, easy to handle.
I agree with Ross - look for the best ram you can find - with performance data to back it up - and keep upgrading your flock from there.

Lisa at Somerhill
www.somerhillfarm.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts