Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I am certain this topic has come up before, but the discussions may be fairly old.

I am in Louisiana and am looking to start a rabbitry sometime within the next year. However, I am looking for ways to monetize it to help it pay for itself (and to provide an emergency fallback if I were to ever lose my job -- at minimum, I want to make sure my house is safe even if no other bills get paid!). I'm doing a cost analysis of what would be doable with what space, time, and finances I have.

I am trying to find businesses that would buy rabbits (New Zealand whites). I have already contacted Pel-Freez, but that could take months and there is no guarantee I will get a number (or if they even got the online form). I went through the list of processors on the ARBA website, but was surprised to find there were so few in the south. The closest one listed no longer buys rabbits and I haven't heard from the others I've contacted (yet).

Does anyone know of any commercial buyers in Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, east and central Texas, or Oklahoma not listed on ARBA? Or are there any market co-ops for this area?

·
Saltine American
5,823 Posts
My wife did that in the 90's and found a processor about 60 miles away and that processor's rabbits were sold by Harry's Farmer Market/Whole Foods.
Look for stores selling processed rabbits and check the label for the processor's name.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hello folks,

I am certain this topic has come up before, but the discussions may be fairly old.

I am in Louisiana and am looking to start a rabbitry sometime within the next year. However, I am looking for ways to monetize it to help it pay for itself (and to provide an emergency fallback if I were to ever lose my job -- at minimum, I want to make sure my house is safe even if no other bills get paid!). I'm doing a cost analysis of what would be doable with what space, time, and finances I have.

I am trying to find businesses that would buy rabbits (New Zealand whites). I have already contacted Pel-Freez, but that could take months and there is no guarantee I will get a number (or if they even got the online form). I went through the list of processors on the ARBA website, but was surprised to find there were so few in the south. The closest one listed no longer buys rabbits and I haven't heard from the others I've contacted (yet).

Does anyone know of any commercial buyers in Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, east and central Texas, or Oklahoma not listed on ARBA? Or are there any market co-ops for this area?
I raised Rabbits years ago in S.L.C. Ut. AAA Rabbits may give you some info. Lots of people in S.L.C. eat Rabbits. Also check with Babin's Rabbitry Raceland LA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife did that in the 90's and found a processor about 60 miles away and that processor's rabbits were sold by Harry's Farmer Market/Whole Foods.
Look for stores selling processed rabbits and check the label for the processor's name.
Thank you! I didn't even think of that. Will do.

I raised Rabbits years ago in S.L.C. Ut. AAA Rabbits may give you some info. Lots of people in S.L.C. eat Rabbits. Also check with Babin's Rabbitry Raceland LA.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts