Coming up for air...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kesoaps, Nov 17, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Any other Washingtonians get hit hard by the winds? We lost power and were without a day and a half. A telephone pole came down at the nieghbors, taking out power all down the road (and did quite the number on the trampoline they'd just purchased for their grandkids, too!)

We've had such an onslaught of rain and flooding already, but that wind was nasty! Lake water was blowing up in walls higher than the rooftops; an entire section of windows was blown into the building where my store is (two women had just walked past; another tennant said they're lucky to be alive, and that the sound was so deafening that she'd thought the roof had been ripped off.)

Things were much calmer yesterday (even though we still didn't have power/heat), but I see the clouds are moving at a pretty good clip up there right now. I hear we're to be back to nasty by Sunday.

I'd posted these river pics on the sheep forum last week, but thought I'd share them with you, too. I haven't been able to get back over there to do any aftermath pics, but by this time who knows whats left of the place! (This is at a friend's who lives on the other side of the hill from me.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

We are in a bit of a hollow so the wind goes TEARING by in the treetops but mostly doesn't affect us down at ground level. Had the power out for four hours on Wednesday. Lots of tree debris around but no trees down on our chunk. I had to put the horses in the "big" pasture so they'd have more room to go tearing around with the wind up their tails. They though it was exciting. I spent several uncomfortable hours warily eyeballing the old cottonwood trees. I should really get them before they get me.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We still don't have power here! We're running a generator for the well pump, and have just enough extra capacity to either run the kitchen lights, or run the computer - guess what the priority is? ;)

I've been cooking on our South Bend Malleable stove, and between that and the insert in the living room we're staying nice and toasty. I'm just really missing a hot shower at this point!

We had one tree come down and take down one side of the dog run with it. One chicken coop tipped over - I had already moved the birds into the barn so they'd be better protected. That's the only damage at our place.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Jen, I've been wondering how you've been faring up there. Sounds like you're not too bad...especially if you've got a generator! Dh has a bit of extra cash at the moment...I'm thinking generator, or even a decent couch to sit on. Of course, being a guy, he's thinking a flat screen tv... :shrug: I just don't get it. And there's an old woodstove sitting outside that would sure be nice in here for warmth (not to mention a bit of cooking) the next time we lose power.

Jenni, glad to hear it just whistles over the top of you there. Pretty much like our home, which is in a bit of a valley. Yeah...you ought to take out the cottonwoods. Such shallow roots and all this rain...only a matter of time!

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

We finally got power and phone back this afternoon. We were without for 2 1/2 days. Lines were on the ground in 10 different places between us and town and it is less than a 12 mile drive.

The rain I can take, I hate wind!

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Oh, go for the generator! In our case, our well is 200' deep and the pump is electric. No power = no running water. We can dip water out of the creek in a pinch, and there's a nice spring nearby, but it's more convenient to run the generator long enough to fill up our containers and the pressure tank.

Our power is on and off right now. (On, at the moment. That shower was awfully nice!) They're working on the trouble spots. Just in time for the storm that's due to hit tomorrow!

7. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

We lost a couple sections of fence. We hustled to get them repaired so the concrete for the posts would have time to set up before the next round of wind tomorrow.

The gusts here were clocked at 80+ mph, lets hope that the gusts are a bit tamer this time. It was interesting to see things cartwheel and soar right past my windows.

A friend of DH's from Florida was amazed at NW people's indifference about 70-80 mph winds. He said "we call these Hurricanes in Florida". :p

8. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We lost power for about 12 hours only, thank goodness. We have it covered pretty good axcept for the well. We used to lose power all the time but since more people have moved out here they keep the trees by the electric lines trimmed. We didn't have any wind damage. The trees that could be a problem have been topped. We did that after a big cedar destroyed the front half of the barn in a windstorm a few years back. One good thing, all the leaves were blown into our woods so I don't have to rake them up. :)

9. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for posting. Yall have had it rough. We had some stormy weather last week. (Covered a lot of area). Went from Mississippi all the way up the East coast. We got lucky in Georgia that we had cooler temperatures before the bad stuff got to us. Had we had heat during the day we would've had the tornadoes that Alabama had. (25 in all I think)

Weather alone is a good reason to stay up on preps.

10. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Glad you checked in Tracey - been worrying about you. post 'aftermath' photos when you get them

11. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Southern Tier of NY got it last Thursday/Friday, worse than the 100 year flood we had in June. Mud slides took out sections of our interstates, roads that were just opening up after repair from spring flooding are now closed again.
    I feel your pain! Hope you dry out soon.

12. MullersLaneFarm

13. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Hi Cyn! We are, but the our long driveway up the hill was a washout. Chickens and goats have lots of mud to deal with.
    Folks SE of us have it a lot rougher.

Just think - another month or so and all that rain would be SNOW. :p

14. MullersLaneFarm

You would have been snowed in, that's for sure! I'm not looking forward to snow this winter with my 60 mile drive to work