Comfrey

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tucker, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I have my comfrey in 1 big 20 gallon pot 4 'clumps' ,, its time to divide the clumps ,, if anyone is interested ,, I only have 3 rabbits now so I don't need to keep much .........

:)

I'll sell a clump for $5 + shipping ,, when I shipped out two clumps last spring shipping was less than $5 ... will probably have 2 to 4 small clumps again ...

... a small 'clump' can have 10+ 'rootlets' ... :nerd: ... that's what I call them .. that can be divided up to make seperate plants ,, I've read that a root 'can' be cut into 1 to 2in bits and that a small piece can root and grow into an indivual clump :shrug: but I've never tried that myself ..

I have been told that comfrey can take root and grow any & every where :baby04: and to be careful where its planted to keep it from spreading ,,

if anyone needs a small clump to get some comfrey started just e-mail me ...

2. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Hi Tammy!

Long time, no hear :). Might be an idea to post this on the barter board and the gardening board as well.

I love my comfrey, the rabbits like it and so do my apple trees! I make comfrey tea every summer for my gardens...smells wretched but my gardens do so well with it. I also infuse it in oil for medicinal purposes. Lots of uses for comfrey!

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Tammy, did you know you can dry individual comfrey leaves like hay for winter feeding? It's surprising how substantial they are even when bone dry. I'm not sure how much of it one can realistically feed to a rabbit, but would it make a good protein boost for working does and for growing out fryers? My comfrey patch is coming along well, but the plants are young and I only harvested a bit this year.

I guess my point is that I think it is great to spread it around and make it available to forum members, but if you have excess tuck it into a bit of waste ground for future use.

4. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Hi Tammy, Pick me, Pick me :dance: I've been looking for some comfrey. Pm me with the details & you're paypal if you accept payment that way.

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:)

Thanks for all the replys ,, think I have all that I'll have extra gave away ..

:nerd:

if I have a extra clump .. I'll repost ..

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

newbie question: what is comfrey used for?