Comfrey Salve Recipe, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sweet pea, May 27, 2004.

1. sweet pea

sweet pea New Member

Anyone have a pretty easy, tried-and-true recipe for comfrey salve to pass along? Any other ways to use comfrey are welcomed - my plants are huge, and I'd like to use them.

2. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

3. Comfrey is great in the compost. i can usually get three cuttings from it during the summer.

Make comfry "tea" for use as a foliar spray on your plants, or water directly with it. Always dilute first though.

lynpea

4. stoneground

stoneground Active Member

I just posted a comfrey liniment recipe on the homesteading forum on the sore muscles thread. It is treasured by injured and aching friends and family.

Peace and Love,
    nancy in the Catskills

5. MIFarmGirl

MIFarmGirl Member

We use ours fresh, makes a wonderful and VERY effective treatment for sore muscles and joints. Also used for helping mend broken bones. Use the leaves as tea and apply as a poultice (warm), or even better, make a poultice out of the root (it will be gelatinous) and apply that externally. Works really, really well.

6. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

It clots blood fast- use the leaves as a compress. I've been told that those that used swords had a lot of comfrey plants :)

As a salve or facial mud we just put ours in the blender with enough pure water to make a strong paste. Fresh is best IMO.

We grow a lot and have outdoor tubs and my favorite way to relax is to put that and some borage in with 6 inches of hot water, pull out the leaves after a while with a strainer and then fill the tub the rest of the way.

~Michael in Boise