Homesteading Forum banner

comfrey for rabbits

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tucker 
#1 ·
Is it safe to feed comfrey leaves to rabbits as a treat? The books I have don't say anything one way or the other.

#2 ·
Sherri C said:
Is it safe to feed comfrey leaves to rabbits as a treat? The books I have don't say anything one way or the other.
Cautions
Do not use on dirty wounds as rapid healing can trap the dirt or pus.
The use of comfrey is restricted in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Germany because of the toxic alkaloids, mainly pyrrolizidine. However, it is unclear as to whether they are toxic in the context of the whole plant, since they are only present in minute amounts and are often completely absent from samples of dried aerial parts. The highest concentration is in the root, having almost twice as much as in the aerial parts. Until such time as it is proven one way or the other, use of the root internally is not advised. It should be noted that Swedish researchers have determined that these alkaloids are destroyed when making a decoction of the aerial parts. Though symptoms may not show up for several months after use, liver damage can occur in a week.
Comfrey leaves have also caused cancer in experimental animals.

Two species, S. asperum (prickly comfrey) and S. uplandicum (Russian comfrey) contain very high levels of echimidine, one of the more potent alkaloids. Adding to the problem is the fact that these varieties are sometimes labeled as “common comfrey”.

http://www.innvista.com/health/herbs/comfrey.htm

#3 ·
Sherri C said:

Hi Sherri ,, I feed 1 leaf of comfrey to my rabbits as a treat 2 - 3 times a week ,, with no problems ,,

I know quite a few people that give it as a 'treat' and as a suppliment to nurseing does the 1st week or so after giving birth ,,

as with any greens you have to give in moderation ,, at all times remembering too much of anything is not a good thing ,,

just MPO ,,, :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.