Comfrey, Bergamot, Lemon Verbena, and Pennyroyal ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LWMSAVON, Mar 13, 2004.

1. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

I am looking for seeds for them and I am not seeming to have any luck in locating any.

I grew the lemon verbena last year, but I had bought a plant from a local nursery and it didn't make it to this year. It's a perennial, but not a very hardy one. :(

Do any of you know where I might be able to find seeds for these herbs?

Thanks in advance.

2. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

3. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

4. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

5. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

6. LWMSAVON

Thanks everyone!! I will check those out and compare the prices.

Appreciate it!!

7. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Laura, be very careful with Pennyroyal. I remember Carla Emery saying something about it being dangerous to pregnant women! It does smell great though! I have some in my backyard, but it doesn't produce seeds yet. I got mine from Le gourmet or something like that. I bought the sample packets. I will look and see if I can find the link.

8. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

http://www.artisticgardens.com/ This is where I got my sample packets from. There are only a very few seeds in the packets...but there are enough for you to get a good start or two. That is where most of my herb garden came from. Most of the seeds are kinda hard to germinate...so a side note...put plastic wrap or something over the pots when you start them and look up on the web which seeds germinate with light and which ones can be covered with soil. I don't remember which ones were which. Blessings!

9. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Is Bergomat the same thing as Red Monarda? If it is.....I have some of that! PM me.

10. LWMSAVON

Thanks Nan. I have just a tad over 5 weeks to go with this pregnancy. Maybe less if the second ultrasound on the 26th shows that I still have complete placenta previa {meaning the placenta is covering the entire opening of the cervix which means a c-section for me (never had one)}

I've never heard it called that but it could be the same thing, not sure. I do know I've heard some people call the Bergamot - Bee Balm and/or Orange Mint.

11. LWMSAVON

I just did a google search on red monarda. It and bergamot aka bee balm is the same thing. Cool! Learned something new.

sent you a pm :)

12. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Yes, please be very careful with the pennyroyal. It's a herb I never recommend for home use, although I, too, love the smell of it. I certainly would never actually use it medicinally or for cooking in any form. You'll see sites telling you about research NOT supporting the old wives' tales of it causing fits and abortion etc. Well, I've seen it happen, and I don't care what the researchers tell you! I've seen dogs have fits just by playing on pennyroyal, I've seen a woman have a fit just by smelling a small sample of it, and that fit led to a miscarriage. She was not epileptic, and had never before had any sort of seizure. You have been warned. If you must have a mint tea (pennyroyal is a mint), use peppermint or spearmint, but even those should not be taken during pregnancy - they stimulate the uterine muscles.

13. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Laura

I didn't see comfrey listed in the herbs on the suggested web sites, did you?

We have bartered and sold ($10 postage paid) sets of a dozen comfrey root settings to several board members over the last 2 or 3 years. We can do it again this year, as the crop is out of control.

If you are intrested, PM me.

Rick

14. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Try Pinetree or Richlers in Canada.

15. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

I'm letting it take over the area where the irrigation comes into my property. I mow it with a garden tractor and it smells great. So far no one has reported any problems except the mosquitoes, which remain thicker on the other side of the fence and don't cause us much grief. :)

~Michael in Boise

16. LWMSAVON

Since my post, I have acquired a red monarda (bergamot) and have it planted and it is doing wonderful. Actually had 2 but a neighbor's huge dog killed one of them by digging the thing up after it pulled my milk jug off it when it frosted. GRRRR.

I also found pennyroyal at Walmart this year. I was totally shocked to find it there. I was just walking through their garden area and happened upon it. Totally surprised me.

I also found the lemon verbena at a local greenhouse too. I was pleasantly surprised to see they had it and it was a big sized transplant for just $1.50.

A friend from church told me yesterday that she has comfrey and would be willing to bring me a start from it in a few weeks. YIPPEE!!

So I'm all set.

17. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

If one of the Monarda is still going it will spread and you will have lots more next year! I only got a couple of starts from my friend and now I have enough that I have to weed them out of the yard to control them! Glad that you are all set now! Blessings! Have you had your baby yet? :) Nan

18. LWMSAVON

HI Nan. Thank you again for the Monarda. It is almost knee high on me now. Man that stuff grows fast.

Yep, I had little Grace on April 19. She just turned 3 weeks old yesterday.

Here's a link to the baby picture of her that the hospital took.

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=6Z6K4J9I7V

19. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Oh Laura! She is a sweetheart! What a gorgeous baby! Such a sweet blessing! The Lord is good! Wish I could hold and cuddle her for a bit!!!!!! By the way....you had her on my son's 16th birthday! You have a marvelous choice of timing! So very thankful that you and the baby are doing well and that she arrived safely! Babies grow like Monarda...toooooooo quickly! Hug her for me!!!!!!!! Blessings! Nan