Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Head Muderator
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
• The eyes of spiders glow in the dark when you shine a light on them.

L.M. Boyd Trivia from todays paper.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You know, I never minded spiders--that is, until last week. At 5:30 a.m. I let the dogs out and saw a huge spider run into the house. This spider was BIG . . . I mean big enough that my Jack Russell paused.

So, I did what any self-respecting woman would do--I got the broom to sweep it out the door. Problem was that the spider went out, but about 100 little baby spiders were left behind, racing all over the place. It was like something from a horror film. I didn't see it coming, not for a second. They were itty-bitty, but I knew that if any got away, in a few months I'd be dealing with some nasty big spiders.

I didn't have any bug killers, so I wound up spraying them all with Windex then wiping up the mess with tons of paper towels. For any who saw "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding," you might understand why I started laughing when it was all over--Windex really is good for just about everything.
:haha:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Another factoid: The average person eats 8 spiders while sleeping during their lifetime.

Lysol spray also works well to kill spiders and other insects.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hahahaha, :haha: that's really funny about the spiders. that just happened to us this morning. a big old fat garden spider came in the laundry room, probably trying to escape the rain. my husband tried to cover her with a jar and the babies scattered. so, he got the vaccuumm..... and it's history for them. we put the mom outside with any stragglers that may have been left on her. i feel sad actually that we had to kill them all. :waa: i would have loved to save some, but lord knows how!! they were sooo tiny. spiders are good because they eat the bugs that bite us. the really scary spiders that bite us are usually well hidden and you rarely see them. except when they crawl out of your old shoe or something and scare the crap out of you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont know if you have them in your area but in Iowa they tend to stay in barns. They are very aggressive but if I remember right are not dangerous.

Years ago I reached into a laundry basket of clothes to feel something that felt like a mouse moving around. I pulled my hand out and up hops a wolf spider as big as my hand. It sat on the top of the clothes looking for something to attack.

When I tried to kill it, it would jump at me!!! How scary. For 3 years afterward, same time of year, I found another spider, smaller and smaller every year. Finally no more. YEAAAAAHHHH

I like the benefits spiders give us so I try really hard to get over the creeps they give me. If I can avoid it I wont kill one but indoors is MINE.

·
Head Muderator
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dunno about you folks, but I'm gonna be prowling around my house tonight with a flashlight, wearing my size 13 "Waffle Stompers"!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Nothing like opening the door and getting a "Spidergram".

When I lived in an apartment I'd get a big spider or two in the fall that came in to escape the chill. They were pretty eye-catching. Speedy, too.

One liked to tease me in the mornings. I'd be standing in the bathroom, putting on my makeup and it would come out into the patch of light the open bathroom door made in the hallway and wait for me to spot it. Once I did, it would zip back into my bedroom (where I couldn't find it because it matched the carpet).

I looked as though I were being "innovative" with my cosmetics for a couple weeks there.

Finally, the sucker slowed down enough for me to catch it in a jar and evict its butt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts