Combs

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MullersLaneFarm, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I'm getting in a raw Icelandic fleece that I would love to use combs to separate the long hair from the finer wool. Right now I'm saving for a Kromski Harp RH Loom so purchasing combs are out of the question for now.

Is there anything that is a suitable substitute for combs??

2. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Separating the tog from thel is not hard to do by hand. That's how it was traditionally done in Iceland. Hold the cut end of a lock in one hand and pull the longer tog strands out with the other hand. You'll soon get the hang of how tightly you need to hold the lock to do this. IMO it's easier to do before the wool has been washed. I haven't had the patience to separate a whole fleece this way, but the locks I have played with were not difficult to separate. Another option is to hold the tip end of the lock firmly and flick the cut end with a dog slicker to remove the thel.

I plan to do one separated soon if time allows. I want the thel for baby clothes and the tog for slipper bottoms. Gotta finish the stuff I've got in progress first, and since I'm still working with just a drop spindle and have a knitting project going too it'll take a while.

3. MullersLaneFarm

Tog = longer hair
    Thel = softer under wool?

When I received samples, the way you described is what I did. Thanks for letting me know it's easier to do on unwashed fleece.

The Tog must felt well also if you're using them for slipper bottoms???

Thanks for the help!

4. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Yes. The tog is the outer coat (which is a true wool, not a hair fiber) and the thel is the soft undercoat. Thel can be super, super soft. When I compare with the thel from one of my Icelandic ewes my ewe's thel is noticeably finer and softer than the Merino fleece I bought last spring. Tog wears well and has a very long staple which is why I want it for slipper bottoms. Icelandic wool in general felts very easily, so be very careful with washing and NO agitating.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Here....check out this site. It gives micron counts for many breeds, including Icelandic, and it rates the thel and tog seperately. I was pleased to find exactly how well both fibers compare to other breeds, but that thel especially. Blended with my angora, it's awesome!

http://www.apparelsearch.com/education_research_wool_sheep_breeds.htm

Meg

6. MullersLaneFarm

Thanks for the link, Meg. I'm going to link it on my Spinning Page!

Got my fleece yesterday and it is yummy!! My new fiber studio (oldest son's old bedroom) was painted last night. Some clean up today and wooo-hoooo, I have a place to store my fleeces & rovings (and wheels and looms!)

7. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

I wonder how accurate the info is. The Bluefaced Leicester is way, way, way off! They describe the fleece as dense (WRONG) and coarse (WRONG again) The micron is listed as 29-31, when in fact, its more like 22-25. Must be using very outdated information. :shrug:
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com