Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering picking up another set of combs. I have Cotswolds, the fiber is 11" staple and sturdy (us Cotswold folks don't like the terms "fine" and "coarse", "fine" used to mean something else and the term was applied liberally to Cotswold wool despite it's large micron count.)

The fellow at the fiber show talked me into buying the coarsest single pitch combs he had for a coarse fiber, but some other sources suggest that a finer comb should be used for long fiber and that the micron count doesn't matter.
Wind in Her Hair's comb thread
suggests Dutch combs for long fiber, but I don't understand the differences between Dutch, English, Viking, Valkyrie, etc... combs.

I am somewhat weak, there's no way I could handle 4 pitch combs without one being mounted to a table. I played with one at the fiber festival and put it back.

I'm considering the Blue Mountain Comb/Hackle Set with the comb that's designed to be used two-handed, but it's expensive enough I don't want to have it be the wrong thing and have to get yet another set...

I'm somewhat handy and considering joining the local makerspace so I'll have access to a drill press, I'm also vaguely considering building my own.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are smaller than the single pitch combs I already have. I can manage the ones I've got, just afraid the 4 pitch is too heavy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts