Columbus, NM & Palomas, Mex

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WIPPdriver, Dec 29, 2004.

1. WIPPdriver

WIPPdriver Well-Known Member

Does anyone here live in or near Columbus, Nm? My wife and I are interested about the area. Maybe buy some land. I found out that New Mexico and Mexico are getting ready to build a new Port of Entry and the Feds are going to dump a few million also. Would appreciate any and all input!
    Thanks
    WIPPdriver

2. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Columbus is a dusty little town. So is Palomas. I go to the dentist in Palomas. About 50 miles west of Columbus, the Dept of Homeland Security is setting up shop at Playas and the gov. is spending big bucks there. Hadn't heard about the new Port of Entry but it would make sense, since it is the closest entry to Playas. Supposed to be more money from Congress for the pilotless type air surveillance for the area also. All the areas around Playas are expected to grow and property values should increase in the near future. What other kind of info are you interested in?

3. WIPPdriver

Harleysmom,

Thanks for replying. We are interested in the cattle business and the truck business that will come from the relief of Juarez. Is there enough traffic now for any kind of business. We where there last week during a weekday and their wasn't much traffic. My concern is that most the Mexicans coming across go to Deming or Las Cruces. The Pink Store has good traffic with very little competition. Why not have something like that on the US side? I found the prices in the "La Tienda Rosa" considerably more expensive than Juarez. Just thinking of how to capitalize on the increased govt. spending in the area.

WIPPdriver

4. HarleysMom

There are some big farms just west of Columbus and I usually see the big trucks in that area. Never seen much traffic coming through the Columbus POE. I have known a couple of people that left the area for greener pastures financially. But that could all change in the near future, just hard to say for sure. I agree the prices in the Pink Store are higher because of the lack of competition. Palomas has always looked the same to me but last time I noticed a new pill shop there.
    Have you checked out the Animas valley, just west of Playas? Or the Douglas, AZ area which really seems to be growing. Hwy 80 truck traffic has gotten much heavier in the last few years with all the trucks going through Douglas.

5. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

There's lots of "bull shippers" (cattle trucks) that come through here (Tularosa) every day. They are hauling Mexican cattle from somewhere over to Texas where they pasture them to put more weight on them. I don't know exactly where they are coming from. Maybe Santa Theresa or Antelope Wells.

The drivers all seem to live in eastern NM or west Texas.

I wouldn't want to live very near Columbus though, for various reasons.

6. WIPPdriver

Is there alot of farming in the Animas Valley? I wonder how much produce comes in from Mex. We are also interested in organic farming. Any of that going on in the area?

Bob, could you explain a bit more of why you wouldn't live in Columbus?

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I dont no much about the area other than its beautiful! :D
    My dad lives in Rodeo.(There nothing there! LOL) So Ive been there several times.And all the names of places yall are calling off sounds like a conversation with him. :haha:

Hey HarleysMom your not registered an a Rottweiler forum are you?Ive seen someone with your name there.Just thinking what a small net it is,if so. :haha:

8. HarleysMom

Insanity: Sorry, that's not me. Don't have a Rottie, but Harley is the name of one of my dogs.

WippDriver: There have been some people trying to do organic gardening on a commercial level near Rodeo. More chemically sensitive people moving into the area. Plenty of good water and low taxes on the NM side of the valley there.
    I know that there is a lot of alfalfa and animal feeds growing in the Animas valley and I used to see corn, though not so much of that the last couple of years. They also grow some chilis and cotton there but I have seen crop dusting closer to Cotton City. Near Cotton City is the largest (I think) greenhouse operation for roses and all heated by geothermal water.
    Most people that drive down I-10 through Lordsburg into Arizona don't have a clue that there is good water here and so much farming just a few miles south of the highway, and also a beautiful area. Across from Rodeo in the Chiricahuas is one of the major bird watching area in the country. Many foreign bird watchers come here also.

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We must be neighbors as we can see the Chiricuhas. They had snow today and we probably will by tomorrow. We are in Willcox and there is plenty of property for sale around here as there are no jobs to speak of at this time.

10. HarleysMom

11. TRIGGER

TRIGGER New Member

Howdy, Ive Lived In Deming All My Life And Drive A Cow Truck For A Living.yes In The Near Future Construction Will Bgin On A Large Customs Compound For For Commercial Traffic. Also New Stockyards
    For Crossing And Shipping Livestock Imported From Mexico.
    The New Port Of Entry Facilitys Are Going To Be As Big Or Bigger Than The New Facilitys At Santa Teresa.
    As Far A S The Crops Grown Local Depending On Time Of Year Of Course ,youll Find Green And Red Chili,cotton,grain,melons,lettuce,cabbage,lots Of Onions,more Onions,we Have A Year Round Growing Season.
    The Cattle Ranchers Here And In The South Eastern Part Of Arizonia Have Had Several Years Of Very Little If Any Rain Fall.
    Most Shipped The Last Of Thier Herds Out Last Year. I Expect There Are A Few Ranches And Grazing Leases Available.
    Anyway I Hope You Enjoy Living Here As Much As I
    Do.